Dang it

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
I was hoping this wouldn't happen but it did. One of my common goldfish has a white pimple on its right side of his body. Would this be Columnaris...what should I do? I think one of my fancies has a little bump right next to its top fin as well...no pics, I left my camera at my friends party last week :swear:....

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
what are the water params? any other symptoms? hard to diagnose without a pic too

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Columnaris doesn't seem to be the correct diagnosis...its more of a cottony look. A raised "pimple" is probably something else IMHO.

Get a pic up as soon as you can. Params and all the info about the tank you can think of would also help tremendously.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
On the body, not on the forehead? Pimples on the forehead on the male, if memory serves, usually means breeding season is near.

Pics would be nice before jumping to conclusions.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I certainly wouldn't assume it's columnaris. That has a stringy, almost fuzzy look to it. It can sometimes be mistaken for a fungal infection, but probably won't present the way you are describing.

If it is granular in appearance, it could possibly be the beginnings of an outbreak of ick. If so, you will know very soon, because you will see more and more of the little white salts. With otherwise healthy fish, this is easy to treat with salt and a heater. (There are many posts on this topic.)

Are you sure that they aren't breeding stars? They occur near the gills and sometimes on top of the head.

Sometimes, too, a pimple is just a pimple. Pictures and parameters are almost a necessity to try to diagnose anything in goldfish.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
they are ot breeding stars...its just one white pimple on the common goldfish on its body

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
How does the pimple look? Globose and hard? Soft? Please don't attempt to burst it off as it could lead to infections which could be fatal to your fish. Try snapping a pic so we will know what we are trying to deal with.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
In the meantime, we need answers here. Answer the questions below.

1. What is the size of your tank?

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.

16. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store