Something's Amiss in Saltwater Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

debgardiner

Registered Member
Sep 27, 2009
I have a 40 gallon saltwater tank that contains not only corals, feather worms, live sand, a few fish and living rock, but also something I have no clue as to what it is. It appears to be contained in one of the pieces of living rock and doesn't appear to be coming out of the rock. You have long tentacles that come out of the hole and appear to sift through the sand and over the rocks and then later a large spurt of dirty sand comes back out the hole later on. Does anybody have any clue as to what this thing might be? I've had the tank up and running since last August and everything appears to be doing well, but would like an opinion as to whether this thing is friend or foe for the rest of the inhabitants in the tank. Any ideas as to what it might be would be greatly appreciated. All my levels are 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrate, 0ppm Nitrite with a Ph of 8.2.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Sounds like you have some sort of worm or cucumber that is encased in the rock. Photos would help, if possible. The behavior you're describing is entirely harmless, though, if not beneficial.

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Sounds like you have some sort of worm or cucumber that is encased in the rock. Photos would help, if possible. The behavior you're describing is entirely harmless, though, if not beneficial.
:iagree:

debgardiner

Registered Member
Sep 27, 2009
Thanks for the info. Not sure I can get a picture of it though as to where it is located in my tank. Will give it a try, but I'm not very optomistic of the picture coming out very clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store