More than 1 Scooter Blenny in a 55??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gfigs911

AC Members
Feb 25, 2010
I have a 55 gal tank with about 53 pounds of live rock and 1 scooter blenny in there. I bought him when he was a little skinny and didnt look too healthy (bad idea). Anyways I bought some DT's copepods about a month ago and scooter is still in there and he is almost fat at this point. He is alot more active and visibly plumper than when i got him. My question is that my LFS has one of the really cool looking red scooter blennies. Would my tank support another scooter? Would there be any aggression between the two of them? I can always buy more DT's but if my tank wont support it without constant additions of pods then is it worth it? thanks..

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I dont see why not in 55G with LR. I kept more than few different variety in same tank without implication.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
If it's only been a month, I'd give it a bit more time. It doesn't seem like it, but just one dragonet can be a large burden on even a large 'pod population. Two would be quite substantial. I'd give it a bit longer to make sure that the tank can sustain the one you have for longer periods of time. Only then would I consider two. Constantly adding the DT's copepods would get prohibitive very quickly. These guys can eat hundreds of 'pods a day if given the opportunity.

As far as aggression, I've only noted aggression between conspecifics (usually between males) and the reds are a different species. Still, however, you should make sure there is plenty of space for them to define individual territories (*should* be okay in a 55g).

gfigs911

AC Members
Feb 25, 2010
thanks for the input...do you guys think a mandarin would be any different? Ive always wanted one but with the difficulty of feeding i have been too nervous to try it out...

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Just get chubby Mandarin to start by checking dorsal area of mandarin.

Amphi,
Are you the person working in retail store?

gfigs911

AC Members
Feb 25, 2010
A chubby mandarin or dragonet in general is usually what i try to look for but in the long run that wont mean they will eat. Although im sure it will make it alot easier for me.....

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I used to until about a year ago. I had worked in several over the course of about 8 or so years.

I also been in the industry for about 20 yrs but leftthe hobby few yrs back. Lately Ive getting the itch and contemplating returning to industry again, mostly with corals.

By any chance, was the operation at places you worked involved transhipping (direct shipments of livestocks from collector/shipper) of s/w fish/corals?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Depends upon the place. One place dealt with Pacific transships, while the other dealt with Atlantic around Puerto Rico. The rest came from the usual wholesalers, like SeaDwelling, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store