Anemone Care

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I have a bubble-tip anemone and another one that I don't know the name of. It's round with white tentacles.

Well, I got the white tentacle one about a month ago. Several times I've thought he was dead only to see him react to stimuli. I feed him around every other day; while feeding the corals I'll squirt some food at him. Not sure if he eats it or not. He just sits there. Sometimes I can see the tips of his tentacles and sometimes not, but I never see him fully extended. I have moved him up close to the light and then down away from the light. He never moves or does anything.

On the other end of the tank I have a bubble tip that seems to be doing better. However, he does not like the light at all. He is constantly finding holes to climb into.

A while back I had a condy which died within 36 hrs of getting him, however I think that had more to do with the condy than it did with my care.

Anyway, is this normal behavior for anemones? I was stunned and elated to see my tank-bred percs hanging around the bulb anemone the other day, but now they can't get anywhere near it.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
How long have you had the bulb-tipped anemone? Whether or not the behavior is normal varies on a lot of factors. Either way, light sensitivity indicates a bit of stress--either from initial addition or something else. Have you been feeding it? What are your water parameters? Lighting specs? I'll be honest in that what I'm reading doesn't sound very good, as far as anemones are concerned, that is.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I got the bulb tip last Wednesday and had poor lighting. On Friday I got a 6x54 light system that does a much better job.

The water parameters are good. No ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates. pH is good. Sorry - I dont' remember what it's at right now. I am not using RO water. This could be causing problems. I'm hitting the fish store tonight to get some salt and so maybe I'll get some water conditioner.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
What is your salinity and temperature? What kind of lighting was the anemone in before you got it? Not uncommon for them to "hide" from the light when new, but you'll still need to keep a careful eye on it.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
SG is at 1.022. Temp was around 80 last night and I turned them up at that time. It should be at around 82 right now.

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
I dunno but that sounds a little high on the temp and a little low on the salinity, I generally keep my aquarium at 78 and my salinity at 1.024-5, make sure your ph is 8.3-8.5.. I currently have 4 different types of anemones in these conditions.

Are you using tap water without water conditioner?(if so that is your problem)

feed it a small piece of krill or some brine shrimp, iodine rich food.. Or add a reef iodine suppliemnt.. Generally my bubble tips move to places where they are able to retract into a crevice but still inflate and gather light.

All I can think of till amph or somebody else gets back to you.

Try not to touch him to much he will move himself most of the time, unless you see him getting close to a powerhead I wouldn't touch him, he could be on his way to somewhere more comftorable.

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I dunno but that sounds a little high on the temp and a little low on the salinity, I generally keep my aquarium at 78 and my salinity at 1.024-5, make sure your ph is 8.3-8.5.. I currently have 4 different types of anemones in these conditions.

Are you using tap water without water conditioner?(if so that is your problem)

feed it a small piece of krill or some brine shrimp, iodine rich food.. Or add a reef iodine suppliemnt.. Generally my bubble tips move to places where they are able to retract into a crevice but still inflate and gather light.

All I can think of till amph or somebody else gets back to you.

Try not to touch him to much he will move himself most of the time, unless you see him getting close to a powerhead I wouldn't touch him, he could be on his way to somewhere more comftorable.
I'm glad this thread was bumped, as it got shuffled away. Anyway, I agree on the salinity. It's not harmful, but it would probably be more ideal to raise it closer to 1.026. The temperatures are fine, though, and are closer to what these anemones would usually be found in. I can't comment whether or not iodine serves any importance to anemones, short of what they get through their diet, but you should definitely keep feeding. Just try to keep other parameters in line, feed, and observe--hopefully it will turn around. One last thing is to make sure the clowns aren't pestering it. Cover it with strawberry basket if they start getting too rough with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store