White film over eyes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hello.
My oranda, over the course of several weeks, has developed a white film over each eye. Otherwise, seems fine.
Ideas? Treatment?
I will post a photo tomorrow.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Sounds like popeye - even if there is no enlargement of the eye. Usually when one eye gets it it's mechanical damage, bumping itself against the tank or some such. When it's both then it's usually more a water quality issue. Can you post specs of your tank, preferably with water test results?

Maracyn 2 treats popeye, but if it's a water quality issue then medicating won't address the root cause. You can also use Epsom salt but again, if you don't figure out what caused it then you aren't going to have much success treating.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I would think it was cloudy eye, not pop-eye by the description. What are the water prameters in the tank? Cloudy eye is usually a secondary issue with the fish and most often is caused by water issues.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Often just improving water quality will cure cloudy eye on its own, but if you need to treat use Sulfa, Furan, or anothef antibiotic effective against gram negative bacteria. Consider that often cloudy eye is secondary to a parasitic infestation, and if that's the case you'll need to clear them up first to make any headway.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
right, my suggestion would be to do daily water changes of up to but not more than 10% of water at each change. What I am thinking is, your water quality either wasn't cycled yet, or your time in between water changes has been to far apart. Once the cloudy eye clears and your water parameters are stabilized at a healthy level, you can go back to a 30%-50% water change weekly. The thing with goldfish are they are big bio-loaders so their water changes are integral to their health.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Cloudy eyes usually are more water quality-related than parasitic. I'd follow DD's instructions. Do plenty of water changes and please post your water parameters here. The tank is 40g and has only two fancies, right? The last update confirmed they were 3".

How big are they now?
Any recent changes in your tank and maintenance?
How often do you vacuum the substrate?
Water changes?
Is the tank planted? What plants do you have?
What is your feeding regimen?
What do you feed your fish?
What other unusual symptoms have you observed?

No need for any antibiotics at this point.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hello.
Fish size is pretty much the same.
I have had an algae bloom for several months. I worked on it by changing water, reducing the food, taking most of the gravel out of the tank and keeping the gravel vacuumed. Two days ago, I tried AlgaeFix for the first time, and now the tank is cleared up. And, at least, now, I can see the fish and really see the eyes.
My tank has one plant, it is the same plant I have had since I purchased the fish nearly 2 years ago.
I feed them twice a day, a small pinch of New Life Spectrum Goldfish Formula or Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets.
I have not observed any other behavior or symptoms. Swimming along as normal.

Water parameters as of this morning:
API Test Kit

PH 6.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0-5.0
Nitrite .25

My water parameters are generally spot on. The tank has been set up for a year.
I generally vacuum and as a result do a small water change every weekend. At that time, too, I check and clean/maintain the Fluval 350 filter.
I am thinking of removing the rest of the gravel. But, I don't really want to remove the plant which is large and lovely. I'm not sure how it will do without any gravel although right now it is floating in the tank! I'm sorry, I don't know what it is.

Last edited:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
In general, algaecides are not recommended. While it helps clear up the algal blooms, dead algae can severely cut down the oxygen level suffocating the fish almost immediately and even crashing the water conditions. It is for this reason we suggest that you refrain from using it. If you have to, you'd need to check your water parameters fervently, do water changes as necessary and cut back on the foods until you restore the conditions to normal.

Right now, ammonia is not the issue but nitrite is as I had suspected. At this point, please add a teaspoon per gallon of sodium chloride. Any salt in that formula is fine, whether iodized or not, as long as it does NOT contain yellow prussiate or ferrous cyanide. Kosher salt, pickling salt, rock salt, iodized table salt or "aquarium" salt are absolutely fine.

What plant do you have? Get a terracotta pot and stuff some gravel there. Put the plant in the pot. In the meantime, you can gradually reduce the substrate until you go completely barebottom if that is what you plan to decide. You can stuff a cup of gravel in a nylon bag temporarily and place it in your filter (if there is sufficient space) or locate it in the corner of the tank to avoid cycle bumps. Once water conditions are restored to normal, ditch that nylon bag of gravel out of the tank. You can still maintain barebottom setup with plants if you can keep floating plants, plants attached on decors or potted plants. My tanks are done this way and maintenance is far easy for me.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Thank you.
I also do not like to use chemicals, but all else failed and the murkiness was making it difficult to care for the fish. If I add the air bubbler would that work?
I will add aquarium salt as directed.
I'm sorry, I don't know the name of the plant. I will take a photograph and post it. It is a lovely, tall plant with shield-shaped leaves of green; at the top sometimes a little red.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store