Fish Sanctuary

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hoyo12

AC Members
Mar 1, 2010
WI
Real Name
Brady
Hello everyone. Thought since that the 'Fish Sanctuary' site was brought up here, that I should post all of the pics and stories of the rescues. It is somewhat of a journal, and is shown on other sites, so this will be a copy and paste thing.;) (And yes, I'm on MFK also)
Update #1
I've been busy with this new (and possibly worst) idea I had. I have a friend that I met a few years ago when I went over and purchased a 75-Gallon tank from her, which I no longer have, and she did this little "Fish Rescue" thing. Just recently she has stopped. She no longer has the money to keep all of the tanks running. She made sure the rest of the fish she still had were adopted out, and then quit.
So I thought, why not give it a try. I have been buying new fish all this time, when I could be helping someone else by taking any of their fish that are too large, aggressive, or they are moving, don't have the time for, etc. SO I posted an ad of Craigslist, explaining that I have all different kinds of tanks, lots of fish experience with many different species, etc.
The next day I got a call from someone that had a Saltwater Damsel that was too big for the tank and was beating up the other fish in the tank. So I went over and got the little guy and he now lives in my 55-Gallon Saltwater tank.(He was in a 10-Gallon with three others)
Next I got a call from someone who had a breeding group of Cichlids that they were trying to get rid of. (Had to downsize on the collection, and the wife was part of the issue, lol) They turn out to be 7 (3m4f) Albino Metriaclima Hajomaylandi "Cobue", which I have never seen in this area before.
And lastly, just yesterday we went to get a "10" Tiger Oscar" that was way too big for its 40-Gallon tank and also has HITH.(Knew I would get a call about an Oscar eventually) So we get there and get to see the fish in person, and it's HUGE! Def. not 10"! So we got him home and got him into the 60-Gallon, which isn't much, but def. way bigger than what he had! Got to measure him, and it appears that he is 14". For the first time in awhile, I actually named a fish. Bruce. The name def. suits him, lol. He makes my other Oscar look very small.
I also will be getting a 5" JD that is "In perfect condition, not a scratch on him" that they owner has to get rid of, because he is moving.
And the part that most of you were probably hoping for in the first place, pics...

Oscar 001.jpg Oscar 002.jpg Oscar 003.jpg Oscar 004.jpg Oscar 005.jpg Torey.jpeg Rescues 001.jpg Rescues 003.jpg Rescues 004.jpg

Last edited:

Hoyo12

AC Members
Mar 1, 2010
WI
Real Name
Brady
And one more. Don't want to get yelled at for posting too many times on one thread at once. :)
Update #2

Today I got to rescue yet another fish. This time it was a bit more serious. My mother, who is a Realtor, went into a house that was up for sale that the people had moved out of awhile back and saw that the house had two tanks with water. So she went over and looked, and one was a corner tank that had to be about 90-Gallons with live rock, fancy filtration, but it had two Koi in it. Weird. The next tank was a 55-Gallon, and as she looks into she sees a VERY underweight fish. She gave me a call and asked if I had the room for another rescue, and of course, I did. She said it was a 7" Bluegill, but wasn't positive. So when I got there I could see that it was a fairly large Green Sunfish, and was just awful looking. Got him out of the tank, and as we get ready to leave I see two claws pop out of a piece of wood that was in the tank. It was a Crayfish! Well, by the looks of the Sunfish, I didn't know if he had been eating or not, so I grabbed him too. What really pisses me off is that the Koi are fat and happy, and then you walk over and you see a fish starving to death and don't bother to feed it. My guess if that, because the Koi and tank go with the house they just decided to kill off the other fish.
Anyway, pics below. He looks a lot worse in person.

Green Sunfish 001.jpg Green Sunfish 002.jpg Green Sunfish 003.jpg Green Sunfish 004.jpg

Last edited:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I wish i could see the pics. From what i read this all sounds like a great idea. You should take the koi too, just to be sure they never suffer.

Hoyo12

AC Members
Mar 1, 2010
WI
Real Name
Brady
I wish i could see the pics. From what i read this all sounds like a great idea. You should take the koi too, just to be sure they never suffer.
Pics not showing up for you? I may have to try and fix that...
The Koi did seem to be well cared for, and not having the owners permission to take them, we couldn't. Otherwise I would have!

EDIT: Hopefully they work now!

Last edited:

Hoyo12

AC Members
Mar 1, 2010
WI
Real Name
Brady
What a great thing to do .Poor sunfish though :(
Thank you.
And the Sunfish is now doing great. Gaining some weight, seems how it has been a few weeks now. Went from shy, and nervous, to active, always up front, and constantly looking for food, lol.

Hoyo12

AC Members
Mar 1, 2010
WI
Real Name
Brady
kudos to you Hoyo, kudos!
Thank you. :)
Alright, next Update. (Until tomorrow ;))
Update #3
Yet another rescue, but first, here is a strange e-mail I got from someone. Made me laugh.

"Wondering if you might be interested in a little Rosy Red we've had for a long time. I didn't think they were suppose to live over 6 months and it's been a year and a half at least! We had 2 but one of them died so I'm thinking this one must be lonely, and I don't care to get another one. Let me know. Thanks."

Thought it was a joke, and after sending them an email, and getting a reply, I haven't heard back, lol. Didn't want to waste $5 on gas for a 12 cent feeder, lol. "Sure, I got a spot for him, right with my 14" Tiger Oscar!"

Anyway, here are a few pics of the newest rescue below, a Jack Dempsey and also a Common Pleco, but I couldn't get any pics of him yet(Hiding). Never had a JD before, so I guess I can cross that one off the list, lol. Beautiful coloring on him, one of my favorite rescues. Now, the story behind him is the owner is trying to sell his house, and will be moving soon, and thought he needed more swimming room. (He was in a 30-Gallon) I actually maybe picking up a 55-Gallon from him also.(Not his tank, but it is his friends tank)

JD 001.jpg JD 002.jpg JD 003.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice fish..hope they perk up soon.

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK