I've got Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
Last night I encountered my first bout with ich. It killed all three of my new blue-reef chromis before I even knew it was there. My midnight pigmy angel is showing it while my tribal blenny may have it; can't tell because he has facial art.

I don't have the means for a quarantine tank right now. My only option is to clean the tank. What I can do is to remove all of my corals - I only have one decent one and a few frags.

I can place these in a 5 gl bucket with a filter, but I don't know how long the treatment regimine is. If it's overnight then I'm sure they'll be fine. If it's a couple of weeks then we could be looking at trouble.

Ideas?

Edit: I should point out that all of the fish currently with Ich or dead or suspected are new fish. I am in the process now of a 30% water change and plan on heading out to the store shortly.

Has anyone had any luck with any of those treatments that are "reef safe"?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The main treatment I recommend takes 6-8 weeks. Even copper treatments are done for a few weeks. A quarantine setup is very simplistic, requiring only an established filter, some hiding places, a heater, and preferably a light (though that is optional). You'll need an ammonia and pH test kit, since those will be of primary importance in quarantine setups. Lastly, you'll need a good supply of mixed saltwater available for any emergencies.

sonycrr

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
nyc
ive used kordon ich attach with is a reef safe medication. also highered the temp to 86. that worked for me in fresh water tanks.

cant say if will help with salt water

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I lost four fish over this. They were all new, and I think it is more my fault than anything else. I should have done a partial water change more recently, but neglected to. All of the fish I had previous to this are fine. If there was a problem with the water it happened over time and they probably adjusted to it whereas the new fish couldn't take the conditions. Interestingly, the chemistry was good. No nitrites, ammonia, and only traces of nitrates.

The only other new fish that I bought along with the dead ones seems to be ok. He's a tribal blenny and has spots as part of his coloration, so it's hard to tell. He's been kind of lethargic, but today he was eating which is a good sign.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store