Brackish River bank theme

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flossyfloofloo

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
nottingham england
i am looking at turning my brackish tank in to a river bank biotope(ish) tank, i wanted some bogwood/rootwood in there and maybe a few plants .

is the bogwood/rootwood feasable, is there anything i should watch out for if i used it??

what sort of plants would work best??? java fern is outa the window as i have a ruby scat in there.

the only fish i have in there are a ruby scat and a moray eel (gymnothorax tile) i know bothe these fish could do with a larger tank eventually but for now they are in a 50 gal .

flossyfloofloo

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
nottingham england
yeah thats one of my probs but i dont want these paticular fish in a marine style tank .

ok so plants are out what bout bog wood?? i run coral sand in the sump to harden the water so do u think i can pit bog/root/branch wood in there??

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
any bog wood or driftwood suitable for a fw tank should be fine in your bw tank.

For plants, there might be some brackish-tolerant plants/macroalgaes like turtle grass that you could use.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
that, i have no idea

flossyfloofloo

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
nottingham england
im gonna say no as he has killed all my green blanket algea outta my tank in 3 days lmao.

the reason i am going so high with the salinity is so i can use some LR as a base for the 'bank' ans have turbos and maybe some hermits or similar (if my fish will leave them alone)

jamesdecruz

AC Members
Mar 8, 2010
Fleetwood,uk
Hi
i have silver scats and no plants were safe with them even java fern's which are safe with most other fish didnt last long.Caulerpas are ok above 1.014 but you may have to put them in your sump

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
have you considered leaving plants out of the water, and having only emergent plants? A riparium style set up would really be ideal, you could grow mangroves easily, and there are other seashore plants you could probably find that would survive with frequent freshwater misting. Lemon Bacopa is one to try. The mangrove roots make a great backdrop eventually, and really suck up the nutrients... I doubt the fish would eat well established roots, they're almost woody, but you could keep them at least partially hidden in planter cups or stone.

you could then have a simpler water column, maybe just a few driftwood pieces to break it up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store