Sengal Bichir questionn

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ACaland00

AC Members
Feb 8, 2010
Sylvania
Just a quick question Ive had my bichir for about 5 months now and he seems to be always hiding still never really swimming around... Also he barely has grown at all and ideas?

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Just sounds like normal Bichir behavior to me, they grow slowly and are noctural, so won;t be very active until the lights are turned off. His slow rate of growth may be affected by his diet; if your mostly feeding him something like feeder goldfish, he's going to be malnourished and grow very slowly. Things like high-quality pelleted food for carnivores and earthworms (whole or chopped) will help jumpstart his growth, if you aren't already feeding him high-quality foods. You could also test the water to see if he's stressed.

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
I think I got lucky with mine. Mine looks exactly like your photo and he is out swimming with the rest of the fish. He is truly one of my favorite fish because of the fact that he is social. The brichardis do not like him much though, they always give him a nudge to get the hell out of their cave.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
I have 3 senegals and they are pretty active. The least active is one I got from a LFS that looks a little stunted -- the other two though are out swimming all the time.

As mentioned, it would be helpful to know some parameters:

What size tank?
What size is your bichir?
What tank-mates?
What diet?
What are your typical water params?
What plants / rocks / wood / etc. do you have in the tank?
What lighting do you use?

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I have 3 senegals and they are pretty active. The least active is one I got from a LFS that looks a little stunted -- the other two though are out swimming all the time.

As mentioned, it would be helpful to know some parameters:

What size tank?
What size is your bichir?
What tank-mates?
What diet?
What are your typical water params?
What plants / rocks / wood / etc. do you have in the tank?
What lighting do you use?

Very helpful info.

I have to say my bichirs grew quickly the 1st year or so then slowed down. That yours hasn't grown is troublesome. Mine are also out during the day alot but the tank is planted and has lots of hiding places. The more secure the fish feels the more likely they will be out and about.

ACaland00

AC Members
Feb 8, 2010
Sylvania
My tank is a 30 gallon tall
My bichir is about 5 or 6 inches but very skinny..
the tank mates are a catfish which i plan on taking out soon he's been causing issues, two rams, a non aggresive chiclid, a few barbs, 5 pencil tetras a sailfin molly and a swordtail.
i usually feed my rams and chiclid and bichir and catfish the sinking carnivore pellets they seem to eat those. other than that normal flakes. i have a nice tall cave and a log, fake plants but well planted, and i use just an aqua-glo for my light.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Diet sounds fine, but he is going to outgrow that tank, and might be hiding because he feels crowded out by the other fish. Do you have a test kit to post water params? though if everything else in there is doing OK, its probably not the water.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Something you don't need to log into gmail for? maybe hyperlink it?

Your tank doesn't sound OS without the Bichir (depending on the species of "non aggressive cichlid"), but he has almost outgrow that tank and probably feels crowded, you should get him his own tank, I would say about 40g breeder min.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store