What would be the best power filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
I will be setting up a 75G brackish tank and would like to know some opinions on what would be the best power filter. A AquaClear 500 or Emperor 400 w/bio-wheel? I imagine that most people are going to say that the Emperor will be better, but I'm running a AquaClear 300 in a 29G and have not had any problems. I have both power filters, just would like to know which would be recommended. Thanks.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I love the AQ for all my tanks! I use it as a mechanical/biological filter I stack sponge/filter floss/porus ceramic blocks from bottom to top. I rinse out the sponge every weekly water change. I also use Eheims in my larger tanks (in addition to the AQ) as a biological filter. These I clean whenever they slow down.

Hint: Filter floss really "polishes" the water

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
After some recalculating I realized that just one of the filters won't be big enough for the tank, so I'll use both. An AQ 500 & Emperor 400 should do the trick!

puffer... I don't know what you mean floss/porus.?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Just plain old fluffy cotton filter floss, like you used to put in interior corner fiters in the olden days (rember that?). I use a good inch in all my filter boxes. Works great! :)

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
PP - cotton rots too fast, the polyester is highly rot-resistant, so much better. The poly is also more compression-resistant in water, so does not collapse and compact/clog as quickly.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I guess I never paid much attention to what it was made of, just that it works great for getting my water to sparkle!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store