Fishroom build in progress !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
Some of you might rememberwhen I began this odyssey.....

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213919

Well..... here's a 10 week update........

Finished applying UGL Drylok to the basement walls, and tore out the support on the side of the stairs where the fishroom would be....

Did a whole lot of framing.........

Installed insulation 'till every part of me was itchy...... and then put a 4 mil vapor barrier over it all.....

Sheathed it all in with 7/16 OSB........

Trimmed it out with 1 x 3's and painted....... Ceiling pale grey, walls black, floor slate grey.........

Started on racks a couple days ago..... I'm using regular 2 x 4's that are rabbetted at the points where the horizontal and vertical pieces meet. sort of like 2 "C's" that interlock. This way the weight is on the wood and not on the screws/bolts. The back horizontals of the rack are lag bolted to the wall studs behind the OSB, and all the rack joints are glued for added strength and stability. I would have like to build modular stands, but the concrete floor has a serious pitch to it which made each front vertical piece unique to its location. I will have much better space utilization by doing it this way.

I'll probably take a few days off from this project....... then come back and finish the stands on the other walls...... Back in December, I jokingly said I'd be lucky to have it up and running by Easter..... Doesn't seem like I was too far off !!!!!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:clap::thumbsup::popcorn:

vequalsir

AC Members
Jul 7, 2008
Cleveland, OH
www.sayresaves.com
Real Name
Tom Trautman
Judging from your signature you definitely have a problem. :)

I'm very interested in seeing the basement fish room. The paint used on the floor, is that an epoxy to act as a vapor barrier on the floor? Did you need to run the electrical wires along the walls in conduit?

Can't wait to see photos of it completed.

JimL

I know just enough to be dangerous
Mar 28, 2009
Silverdale, WA.
Looking great. Keep us posted. You've a lot of hard work, no doubt it's rate high on potm.

naliel

AC Members
Apr 19, 2009
il
Very nice Jim. I really like to see the finish "product".
I only have a question. Why so much insulation?
I will follow your thread.
Good job.

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
The insulation is 10" in the ceiling and walls along the foundation. it is 5" on the walls that face the basement interior. I plan on heating the whole room rather than each tank individually. It will definitely be cheaper to install the extra insulation in the build stage than to pay the utility bill difference month after month in the long run. The floor paint is an acrylic latex..... I'm not sure if it acts as a vapor barrier or not. At some point down the road, I'm thinking about doing the floor in "deckboards"..... Much easier on the feet and legs as well as for its minor insulating capabilities. As for the wiring, where I live, "code" does not require conduit. Circuits for heaters (if I end up needing them) are 12 gauge...... Wiring for lighting is 14 gauge.

Last edited:

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
looking Good

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Nice work Jim, keep the pics coming .