are these 2 fish compatible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
i have a question? i have a 40 gal. this tank only has a few fish in it right now? i have 2 common clowns (small), 1 engener goby (small), and a stawberry dottyback.. i would like to get a mccosker flasher wrasse. would this fish be alright to put in this tank? i don't know if it would get along with the dottyback.. what do you all think? has anyone ever put these 2 fish together before? thanks foe any answers....:feedback:

I Love Mollies

Kingfisher
Mar 5, 2010
Ohio
well the clowns would bet along great but the gobys should be separated but thats my opinion my gobys died when i put a dotty back in because they wierdly enogh ate its waste i guess its toxic but u could put a cory catfish in or two they r great community fish and only double their size which is 1.5 inches so good luck

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
Dottybacks can be pretty aggressive, so it should be able to take care of itself against fish equal to or a little bit larger than it.
I'm not familiar with a McCosker wrasse, but wrasses, in general, get bigger than a 40g can hold. Plus, they'll need a sandy substrate since many wrasses like to bury themselves in the sand at night. And I do believe flasher wrasses get their names because they like to "flash" or rub, against the substrate.
You will find in the marine world that stocking size (inch per gallon and whatnot) is not as forgiving as in the freshwater world. IMO, I would say you're at capacity, if not a bit overstocked.
As for the clowns, unless they are male and female, one may harass the other to death. They belong to the damsel family and pound for pound one of the meanest fish on the reef.
How is your tank setup? Live rock? How much? Corals? Filtration?

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
cool thanks guys for the info..i even called the guy at the lfs and he told me it wouldn't be a good idea to add the m.wrasse cause the dottyback would fight with it..but he said that a 6-line wrasse would be better...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store