Why Water Changes?: The Long Answer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MOA

AC Members
Aug 16, 2009
Hello,

I build stocking spreadsheets in my spare time and one accusation I often hear from the people who use my spreadsheets is that it is unfair to base how many fish a person can keep based on their cleaning frequency and the amount removed. I have heard this argument for many years and finally decided to answer it in some detail:

http://sites.google.com/site/moashowmanyfish/why-are-water-changes-necessary

The above link essentially states that 1) not all waste products can be handled by live plants or filters, and 2) that partial water changes do definitely limit the amount of waste that can be in a given aquarium. Hopefully this post will help answer any questions that new aquarists might have about water changes in general.

MOA

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Copy editor note: In your first paragraph, the line "Many users have wrote to me..."

that should be "have written to me". Not trying to be a grammar nazi here, everybody makes typos. Copy editing is something I do for (part of) a living, but I'll give ya this one for free. :) You want to sound authoritative so people will listen to what you say and take your advice. Correct usage is important.

And it's an excellent piece, as far as I had time to read. You are persuasive without being argumentative, you produce facts to support everything you say, and express conclusions in a logical fashion. I think you will persuade everyone who is persuadable on the subject, particularly those who mean to do well by their fish but are trying to get away with cutting corners because they have read bad information elsewhere. Those who are just too **** lazy, well, they are not likely to be reading the research in the first place.

Good work. :)

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
A few notes about this argument.

The first glaring error is that you cannot use data from a terrestrial organism on the assumption that it pertains to the aquatic environment.

Urea refers to a specific organic chemical (NH2)2CO and nothing else. The sites that you refer to are about urine. Producing urine is a terrestrial adaptation to prevent water loss.

Fish also do not produce urea. Urea and uric acid production is an adaptation of terrestrial animals to detoxify the effects of ammonia. This is not needed in aquatic organisms as the level of ammonia is extremely low in most bodies of water. Fish simply discard waste as ammonia.

Here's a starting point for aquatic wastes http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~aquacentre/files/research-publications/Chemical%20Composition%20of%20Trout%20Manure.PDF

As for the rest of the essay, it is pretty good. However it is based upon the assumption that the fish waste is not used by other organisms. Plants, algae, and bacteria break down and reuse most of the waste from the fish. In a heavily planted lightly stocked tank it is very possible to only need to change the water on a yearly basis or longer. Eventually the ion balance will make it imperative for a water change but this can take a very long time in a well designed tank (several years in fact).

The basis for your argument should probably be as such: When the input of nutrients from wastes is greater than the needs of the plants are microbes in the tanks a water change is needed to maintain water quality. You can then describe the physics of how water changes work.

This is why my heavily planted overpopulated guppy tank requires a 25% water change monthly but my unplanted 125 gallon goldfish tank needs a 80% weekly water change to remain healthy.

Aphotic Phoenix

Graver Girl
Jun 5, 2007
Virginia, USA
I agree with The V, in that fish do not produce urea. They release NH4+ as nitrogenous waste of a which a percentage changes to NH3 dependent upon pH.

I also feel the use of "cleanliness shock" without sufficient explanation is somewhat misleading. You're dealing with an issue of osmotic pressure regulation due to TDS (total dissolved solids), the value of which will vary considerably based upon the actual gH and kH of the system, DOC (dissolved organic compounds), etc; and the uptake of minerals and other nutrients dependent upon the actual organisms living within the system. Yes, a large water change done infrequently could cause osmotic regulatory issues due to variances between the source water and the system water. Can you show any scientific source that would imply innate risk when doing large water changes when both the source water and system water have the similar TDS values? In other words: can you prove it's dangerous to change 75% to 90% of the water in a system on a daily basis provided the same source is used? I don't think that you can, but that's what your chart implies.

Finally, I think your article should mention the importance of manual solid waste removal. Solid waste left to rot in both the tank and the filter will continue to break down over time, adding to the system load. Regular removal of these materials through proper maintenance procedures is just as important as diluting the system solution.

Last edited:

Scuppers

AC Members
Jan 8, 2010
Oklahoma
A few notes about this argument.

"Plants, algae, and bacteria break down and reuse most of the waste from the fish. In a heavily planted lightly stocked tank it is very possible to only need to change the water on a yearly basis or longer. Eventually the ion balance will make it imperative for a water change but this can take a very long time in a well designed tank (several years in fact)" :bowing:

Ah, how refreshing, somebody actually said it "a heavily planted, lightly stocked tank....." that's the way to go. :iagree:

Sometimes it seems that the whole focus of keeping fish is to cram as many into the tank as pre-determined formula will allow, and only lipservice is paid to considering the bio-load. For me? well water tests twice a month and water changes twice a year....BASED ON OBSERVING MY FISH AND THEIR HABITAT.:goldfish:

Always leads to interesting discussions though......:duh:

MOA

AC Members
Aug 16, 2009
XanAvaloni,

Grammar error fixed--the catch was appreciated.

THE V,

Excellent point about the misnomer regarding urine conventions. My overall point in that section was not that urine had a definite content, but that the content was complex and that it is unlikely that any system can account for every single component (even the best tanks are subject to ion accumulation). That is the only point that I was trying to make. Perhaps that is one part that I will completely rewrite--I agree that it is unfair to use a terrestrial source in place of the piscine. :) Good catch.

Also, the rest of my article does not rest "upon the idea the assumption that the fish waste is not used by other organisms." You will note that the more complex equation uses the variable r, which stands for the "ratio of daily IFUs per gallon." In more detail, the effectual daily IFUs per gallon is the fish waste as modified by bacteria and plants (a computation I use in the spreadsheets, but not in my examples as they are too long). Thus, a low r factor would decrease the overall waste of the system--allowing for a longer cleaning period. Of course, the chart at the bottom does not include r, which I state in the article, and is thus "a relative cleanliness index to a particular aquarium system." This means that the chart only compares one tank to itself: at tank cleaned every 8 days at 30% will be just as dirty as one cleaned every 12 days at 45%, etc.

As to the shift in my argument that you suggest, I cannot concur: it is impossible to predict exactly how "balanced" a particular arrangement of plants/microbes and fish will be in that the specific requirements of most species are not precisely known. Consequently, one odd substance my be produced in a greater quantity than is truly needed. This imbalance can sometimes only be found with the aid of a fully complemented laboratory--which most home aquarists do not have. Therefore, my argument is that since it is impossible to be sure of a completely balanced system, it is safer to simple do water changes from time to time instead of hoping that the system is perfectly balanced out.

No less, I still agree that I need to rework the section talking about fish waste and that I need to be more obvious about the importance of the r variable. Very good points.

Scuppers,

"For me? well water tests twice a month and water changes twice a year....BASED ON OBSERVING MY FISH AND THEIR HABITAT"

You are assuming that your observations are accurate and that the test kits show all of the vital statistics--they don't and you aren't a fish. In other words, it is very arrogant of us aquarists to assume that we understand our fish so well so as to think that we know what is comfortable for them (don't forget that is once argued that African Americans were comfortable being slaves). As to the test kits, I used to work in the College of Southern Idaho Laboratory and one of our tasks was aquacultural analysis: test kits do not measure Arsenic or other heavy metals like mercury, and fail to account for trace accumulation of any kind. Consequently, test kits only warn the aquarist of a major problem--and that in retrospect. Fairly frequent water changes, on the other hand, work in the role of prevention. I also used to sell fish and can attest to the value of preventive measures--I made a lot of money off of people who only did a water change when the test kit said they should, lol.

No less, I am not being fair as you did mention a heavily planted tank, which has preventive attributes as well. If you do have a a very lightly stocked tank, then twice a year cleanings may be sufficient. Regardless of sufficiency, I am not interested in getting away with anything (including seeing how long a tank can go without cleaning). I have never seen a tank less frequently cleaned do better than one more frequently cleaned (all other conditions equal), never. If the system is as efficient as you suggest, then a water change executed more frequently should not be a problem. Why try to avoid something that is inherently beneficial?

Aphotic Phoenix,

"You're dealing with an issue of osmotic pressure regulation due to TDS"

Um--NO. I was not thinking of osmotic forces at all, was thinking of the trauma of having more than 30% of your home removed after a long period of environmental stability. People get so caught up in considering the science of fishkeeping that they become insensitive to the fish's perspective. Place yourself in the position of the fish--would a major water change scare the **** out of you? Yes, yes it would. My point is that fish that are not scared tend to have healthier immune systems, which equates to a longer life span. My point in suggesting caution for water changes above 30% is that fish have to be acclimated to a routine to be comfortable with it.

In trying to be fair, you are right that I did not give much explanation and that I did not mention substrate cleaning at all. Good points and well thought out. :)

MOA

Aphotic Phoenix

Graver Girl
Jun 5, 2007
Virginia, USA
Place yourself in the position of the fish--would a major water change scare the **** out of you? Yes, yes it would.
Does it scare you when a household member opens the windows to let in fresh air or starts up a vacume cleaner?

In my experience, fish that are well accustomed to having persons in and around the tank show little to no signs of agitation compared to fish in aquariums that get little or infrequent attention. Save for the naturally more timid species (such as Trigonostigma hengeli) that will briefly exhibit tighter schooling behavior, my fish kept in tanks with frequent activity swim about normally and even nibble at my fingers (because I often feed them by hand) while I clean the tank. What they do not like is loud noise or being jostled about by water currents created by things such as hard scrubbing, or suddenly forcing equipment into the tank, so I take extra care to make sure my movements are slow and gentle.

In contrast, when I clean my friends aquariums (because they often don't, and I've been unable to convince them that perhaps they shouldn't have fish), the fish show agitation if you simply reach in to pull out a dead plant leaf. They have not been acclimatized to the presence of people, and therefore naturally have a flight response.

Is that anecdotal evidence? Sure it is, but no more so than your theory about quantity of water changed vs level of stress generated by it. And no, I'm not all science with no love for my pets. If I didn't care, I wouldn't put forth the effort to observe their behavior and adjust mine accordingly. Will it stress response vary between species? Of course it will. Smaller (prey) species have a natural tendency towards flight response, but even they show less stress response with frequent activity vs infrequent activity.

Edit:
Woops forgot the point I was going to make: I feel that your chart, as it stands now, could mislead people into thinking a 75% water change done on a less frequent basis is the same as doing smaller more frequent water changes. I've worked in the service industry long enough to tell you that a lot of people are far too lazy to read, and are much happier looking at pretty pictures/graphs to interpret them the way they wish to. If your goal is to convince less experienced aquarists: simple clear language is always a winner.

If you wish to argue that changing their "environmental conditions" is stressful, then I will again point to the osmotic regulatory issue that can be caused by infrequent water changes.
If you wish to argue that interaction with the aquarium is stressful, again I would argue that frequent low level activity is preferable to large infrequent activity.
Both of those things being said: it's not unheard of for people to run systems designed to automatically change out large quantities of water on a very frequent basis. I find it hard to argue this would be much cause for stress since it is not unlike a natural river environment.

Last edited:

MOA

AC Members
Aug 16, 2009
Hello Again,

I agree with you. My basic point is that water changes = good, not thinking = bad. As to the chart, I clarified some of the surrounding language, but people are always going to intepret things how they want to. Also, larger, less frequent is the same thing as smaller, more frequent if one is talking about remaining waste (which is what the chart is labeled as pertaining to).

Also, as a general note to everyone (who have been very kind in pointing out various errors), I have changed the entire article so that it draws a distinction between the science of fishkeeping and my personal philosophy of fishkeeping. I realize that many of you will not necessarily agree with my philosophy (it takes all kinds), but I felt it necessary to make it clear that my work is very much based on a particular set of premises. I appreciate the comments you guys (and possibly gals) have offered and look forward to hearing what you guys think about the revision. I appreciate that you guys are not afraid to disagree :).

MOA

Aphotic Phoenix

Graver Girl
Jun 5, 2007
Virginia, USA
:clap: I think that's a big improvement in the first part of the article, and has definitely got some quote/linkage potential now. ^_^

I do think you could word this sentence a little better perhaps? (problem word in red):
For example, it can be seen from the below chart that changing the water every 12 days at 20% each time produces about three times more remaining waste than changing the water every 2 days at 10% (60 / 20 = 3).
Maybe change it to something like "For example, changing 10% of the water every 2 days removes about 3 times more waste than performing a 20% water change every 12 days"?

I think the reason I dislike the term "cleanliness shock" is it conjures up the idealisms of people still stuck in the era of "fish don't need water changes, it kills them!". (If that makes sense) People do still try to argue that, because they don't really understand it. :/

Good job though. I'm looking forward to seeing if anymore changes/updates get made. ^_^

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store