Catalina Goby Compatibility

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMThomson

AC Members
Feb 14, 2010
I thought my next project might be a temperate/cool water tank so I have decided to build my system around Gulf of California species with Catalina Gobies (Lythrypnus dalli) as the centerpiece.

I am designing a 150 to 200 gal. system so hope to provide a home for several Catalinas. How many do you think would be appropriate for a tank of that size?

I have the advantage of starting my collection from scratch so can purpose-select species that are best-suited to a cool water tank.

Given that Catalinas need a cool environment (55~65 Deg. F), my question is: What other species (fish and inverts) are suited to that temperature range?

I would really appreciate input from anyone who has had success with these beautiful little fish.

Kind regards,

LM Thomson

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I don't think there are too many folks here with experience in temperate or coldwater animals. My experience with them is what I'd consider minimal and none of the ones I've dealt with were ever my personal tanks. My best suggestion is to look into the ecosystems surrounding the area and see which animals are found in that habitat. Then carefully research the requirements for each.

Of the tanks and/or exhibits that have housed them almost always had no other fish species. The tanks were quite rocky and often had Corynactis californica.

Sorry for not being of more help. The best thing I can recommend is to wait for someone with more experience to post about their experience.

LMThomson

AC Members
Feb 14, 2010
Thank you for your reply. I am having difficulty putting my hands on a book that describes the marinelife of the Gulf of California. Can you recommend one?

Cheers,

Laurie

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Not off hand, no. A google search for "california marine life" and narrowed down to books only revealed a good number of titles, though. Some of them you could actually read portions of it, so that may be a good starting point.

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
I think the gulf of california might be too warm for catalina gobys? Aren't they more common a little further north?
Maybe check with Monterey aquarium or the new steinhart in San Francisco, or check their websites. They might be able to hook you up with some ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store