Is this a female?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
The subject pretty much says it all, can anyone tell from these pictures if this is a female? At the moment I can't get any better pictures as its a new fish and still somewhat shy.

pleco 001.jpg pleco 002.jpg pleco 003.jpg

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Hmmm I don't think these have a red spot, but will take a look.

What happened to your angels?

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Had a MAJOR crash in my 40 breeder show tank, killed a breeding pair of angels along with 12 serpaes.
Sorry to hear that, if it helps I dealt with the same thing with the snow storms recently. Power out for 3 days, wiped out my 29G and 10G tanks, killed all of my rummys and a neon from my 55G. All this after my female (indirectly) killed my biggest male angel a few weeks back. I had finally decided to try her with him, they were getting along fine, somewhere along she managed to take out his eye, and he deteriorated rapidly after that.

Annoyingly enough she is now getting on much better with the male that she was originally with in the 29G, no eggs yet, but they keep cleaning leaves on a sword plant I have in the 55G with them.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I'm thinking it's a young male. Any idea how old it is? How big is it? See if you can get a picture of it from the top down so I can see it's mouth from that side and see what the shape of it's side are.

Last edited:

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I'm thinking it's a young male. Any idea how old it is? How big is it? See if you can get a picture of it from the top down so I can see it's mouth from that side and see what the shape of it's side are.
Not sure on the age, but it is probably 3" long, maybe a little more. It's an L279 (http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=1647). I have a definite male who is only slightly larger with a full set of bristles.

I attached the only other semi decent picture I have of it at the moment.

pleco 004.jpg

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
If you've already got a male, is there any way you can capture them both for belly pictures. It's a little harder for me to determine on the brown ones since their bellies are so dark compared to the light colored ones. But at that size, the new one, if I can see the comparison to the male I'll should be able to tell you what it is. It's very obvious in an L144 or an albino ancistrus at this size. Doesn't have to be today, just asking if you get an opportunity. Or you see the male against the glass snap his belly for me so I can put them side by side. I'll use the one from the new fish that you already provided. I'm still leaning toward young male.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I will keep an eye out for the known male to be on the front of the glass where I can get a picture, typically he is on the back glass (unless the lights are out). One thing I did notice between the two though is that the (I think) pelvic fins (ones closest to the tail) are much larger on the male compared to the other. His pelvic fins are almost the exact same size as the first set of fins. Where as in the picture above of the fish I am not sure about, the fins are clearly a different size.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Managed to get a couple pics of the male, none of his belly though. He managed to find the corner of the tank with the most algae and was not budging!! His mouth looks different to the other fish, along with the fins being larger. Also added another pic of the unknown fish, just because I think they look awesome with their fins fanned open (this one likes to sit on the filter outlet) and also a pic of their tank. Nothing else in the tank but the pair of them, kind of hoping to turn it into a species only breeding tank.

pleco 007.jpg pleco 008.jpg pleco 012.jpg pleco 011.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store