20" lighting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
Hi guys,

I need some assistance (as usual). My Uncle Sam is giving me a little money and I’d like to upgrade lights on my tank.

The tank is a 45 gallon pentagonal tank. The cover has a clear part for the lights of about 18 inches. The tank is (roughly) 24 inches deep. (It’s really a 24” cube with one corner cut off to make the pentagon shape.)

I’ve got a fair bit of zoas, shrooms, and the like (hammer, torch, trumpet, acan). I certainly wouldn’t complain about adding some SPS… though I would prefer not to go to metal halide.

The current light setup is a 96W PC bulb (20”) that is half 10K and half actinic. I have very good mushroom growth and moderate zoa and LPS growth. I do have a birdsnest coral that is growing quite well too.

So, the questions:

1) Will a pair of 20W (20inch) T5s give me better light than the 96W PC fixture I have now? (If so, what bulbs should I use?)
2) There are these new LED light strips. I think I could fit 4 (maybe 6) of them in the space I have available for lights on the current hood. What about using these http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21598
3) Or maybe something like this: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/LEDLights.html
4) Or some combination of T5/PC/LED?

Like I said, I’ve got some money and I want to get the best possible lighting. I’m willing to have another hood (100% transparent) made if it will mean I can use better lighting.

All my fish die, so I need my corals to really rock out.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Did you want your post to be a secret, lol? I changed your font color from white to black, because you would've had to highlight everything to be able to see it.

At any rate, I would use the LED strips on Drs. Foster and Smith as a supplement. If you get enough coverage, I would say the ones in the second link definitely have the potential to be a good deal brighter than what you have, but I don't see any concrete numbers on them from the site.

OgreMkV

Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
Did you want your post to be a secret, lol? I changed your font color from white to black, because you would've had to highlight everything to be able to see it.

At any rate, I would use the LED strips on Drs. Foster and Smith as a supplement. If you get enough coverage, I would say the ones in the second link definitely have the potential to be a good deal brighter than what you have, but I don't see any concrete numbers on them from the site.
Sorry, I cut and pasted from Word and I have the dark background. Oops.

That seems to be the major problem... LEDs are just too new to have reviews or hard data.

OgreMkV

Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
I've been reading about the TMC Aquabeam 1000 Ultra and it seems pretty impressive and would fit in my tank pretty well. Reviews seem positive.

I'm going to do more research, but I think I like that one.

OgreMkV

Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Hmm, a bit over what I'd be willing to spend :)uhoh:). You'd be better off for that kind of price getting a 150-175w metal halide pendant or small fixture.

OgreMkV

Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
There are two issues that I have with metal halide.
1) heat - I live in Austin and this summer (when electricity was almost .15 cents a kW-hr) the temp was above 100 for 45 straight days

2) I have a plastic cover on the tank and I really like it because my kid and my cats will try to get in the tank otherwise.

They just don't make T5s small enough and I've already got the biggest PC that I can use.

hmmm... Maybe if I have a custom top made of 1/4 glass...

BTW: Thanks for the discussion.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The heat issue is over-exaggerated in most cases, IME. Good ventilation and plenty of fans should prevent much of the heat issues. IME, inefficient water pumps lend more to heating the water than anything else (well, other than heaters). Some people will swear that T5 lighting is more heat efficient, but it is not. Watt for watt, it is about the same. LEDs genuinely are more efficient not only with heat, but how they transfer it, but you get the idea. You could likely have your tank temps lowered by looking into energy-hogging pumps (usually return pumps, not the newer propeller-driven ones). Even with a new pump/pumps, the chances of you spending less money is still pretty good and at the moment, you'll likely be getting more light with the halide, too.

The plastic cover won't be an issue unless the lamp is right on top of it.

Edit: FWIW, I checked and average temps in Mobile are pretty much the same and the relative humidity is even higher. It can be done here, so I know it can be done there in most cases.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store