CL Used Aquarium Pricing Guide

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
Sooo...someone finally got a little fed up with some of the overpriced aquariums on Craigslist. I found this on the Seattle Craigslist and figured that people here would have some comments on it. I wonder if it's anyone any of us know.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/1630068279.html

Yes, I know you spent a bucket of cash to get yours, but this is RESALE.
And it's craigslist....the BARGAIN-hunter's market.
Aquariums/fish tanks do NOT hold a high resale value.
Therefore, for those of you who are trying to sell USED aquariums on CL and NOT getting your (often) exorbitant asking prices - here's a simple, FAIR guide to pricing:

And because many of you don't know or need to find out exactly what size your tank is, here's a calculator: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/information/calculate.htm

AQUARIUMS: Glass

If it's a year old or UNDER - $2.00 - $3.00 per gallon.
If it's OVER a year old - $1.00 per gallon.
Hexagons - $2.00 or less/gallon.
BowFronts - $1.50 - $2.00 per gallon (depending on condition)

AQUARIUMS: Acrylic

If it's a year old or UNDER - $1.50 - $2.50 per gallon.
If it's OVER a year old - $1.00 per gallon.
Hexagons - $1.50 or less/gallon.
BowFronts - $1.50 - $2.00 per gallon (depending on condition)

STANDS & CANOPIES:

$1.00 per gallon of aquarium the stand holds. (REAL wood - add another $.50 to $1.00 depending on CONDITION)
$.50 - $.75 per gallon of aquarium the canopy covers. (REAL wood - add another $.50 to $1.00 depending on CONDITION)

GLASS TOPS and PLASTIC HOODS:

25% - 40% of retail

LIGHTING:

WITH newer bulbs:
Incandescent - $5.00 (usually only 10 gallons or less are incan's)
Fluorescent - $10.00 per foot
Compact Fluorescent - $20 - $30 per foot (based on condition of housing, cord)
Halide & Specialty - 50% of retail for ballasts; you should buy NEW bulbs unless they are evidently lightly used.
REALLY High-end Fluorescent lighting - 60% of retail

W/O bulbs or OLD bulbs:
Incandescent - Free
Fluorescent - $7.00 per foot
Compact Fluorescent - $15 - $20 per foot
Halide & Specialty - 50% of retail for ballasts; you should buy NEW bulbs unless they are very evidently lightly used.
REALLY High-end Fluorescent lighting - 40% of retail

ACCESSORIES:

Saltwater - i.e. - protein skimmers, powerheads, wave-makers, chillers, etc....50% - 65% of retail (UNDER 1 year of use)
Saltwater - i.e. - protein skimmers, powerheads, wave-makers, chillers, etc....25% - 40% of retail (OVER 1 year of use)
Freshwater - 25% of retail (regardless of age - very easily replaced)

GRAVEL:

Natural colors - .15 - .20 cents per pound (clean)
Other colors - .05 cents per pound

HEATERS:

UNDER a year (of use) old -
50W - $2
100W - $4
150 - 200W - $6
250 - 300W - $10
OVER a year old - free (heaters aren't trustworthy enough after a year of use to justify $$)

FILTERS -

UNDER a year old - 50% of retail
OVER a year old - 25% of retail

THINGS TO CONSIDER:

An empty aquarium is ONLY an aquarium. *****
ONLY when full of livestock (that is included in the sale) is a tank considered a SALT or FRESH aquarium.
There is NO SUCH THING as an EMPTY saltwater or freshwater aquarium.
It is JUST an aquarium.

****If you have the EQUIPMENT, ACCESSORIES and /or LIVESTOCK for a SALTWATER hobby, then it is a "SALTWATER AQUARIUM SET-UP."
****If you have the EQUIPMENT, ACCESSORIES and /or LIVESTOCK for a FRESHWATER hobby, then it is a "FRESHWATER AQUARIUM SET-UP."

REHOMING LIVESTOCK:

Check local prices before you buy someone's critters.
Often, buying livestock from a private party is better - especially if they have had (it) for a while w/o problems.

MISC.:

Chips, cracks & leakage are all signs of wear and reduce the prices significantly.
Water marks, discolorations, scratches (esp. on acrylic) and hard-water deposits are usually cosmetic. Because many can be removed with effort, they need not affect price.
Accessories are always great to 'throw in' as a bonus when buying a tank, but pricing everything, stating 'will not separate' and expecting a quick sale - not good. Not many people are not going to use all YOUR stuff if they have other ideas for THEIR new tank.

OK, so this is JUST a guide for SELLING your tank(s) and is intended to give a starting point for pricing it (them). I've sold MANY aquarium very quickly under these parameters. You should do well, too, if you don't get greedy.

And buyers? There will be exceptional SET-UPS out there and what you ultimately pay will depend on you, but this (hopefully) gives you a 'ballpark' idea of what you can expect.

Happy Fish-keeping, everyone!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i go by 1.00 a gallon in my area the price is often less than 1.00 a gallon. tanks in my area are dirt cheap but i noticed in alot of areas they are way over priced.

arise1dwr

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Chicago
yea chicago used aquarium prices can be very ridiculous. id like to ask the author permission to repost it in my craigslist area.

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
Great post. I love it when someone says " I've invested X amount" I don't give a rat's $#@ what they invested. It's used equipment now and I want to pay a used equipment price.

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
nice find! i personally never pay more then 1$ a gallon. and most the time i wont pay that. as some1 else mentioned, tanks are dirt cheap around me. im talking 30-40$ for a 55gal that holds water.(holding water is a must) i just bought a 29gal completed tank, 20$.

i like the article, shows all these fools that they aint getting what they think.

i had a lady try to sell me a 75gal tank and stand for 250$ ....

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
Well it all comes down to what the market will bear. If people are listing items in your area for higher, and they are selling, then that is what they are worth, regardless of how you may feel about it. If they are overpriced, then they won't sell and prices will drop. And remember, there is nothing stopping you from offering less, many a time I have done so to be turned down initially, only to get a phone call days later accepting my offer.

One of the biggest things that modifys the value of the tank is the accesories, and if they are of any use to you at all, or they have resale value. You will find that these things can nickel and dime you to death if you have to buy them new. Recently I bought a 55 gallon hexagon tank with stand just for the accesories (fluval 405 filter, stealth heater, air pumps, nice decor) just for the accesories.

I am not so concerned with age as I am condition, I will take a 3 year old acryllic tank that is in pristing condition long before I buy a newer tank with scratches. I also paid a premium price because the black acrylic stand and hood matched my decor, and I am not a huge fan of wood.

And yes, there is such a thing as an empty saltwater tank, it all comes down to the plumbing (pre-drilled internal overflows etc).

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
According to this I would have paid $450 for my 80 gallon bowfront set. I paid $300 so I feel it was fair.

Prices on tanks around here are all over the place. Some are cheap most are not. This will be useful when I decide to sell my 55 gallon set up.

I like to buy tanks without all the extras because it just drives up the price and usually I don't need all the junk included. I have better filters, better heaters and better lights then the set ups you tend to find on CL around here.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
You know...for someone making that list themselves

it's pretty spot on

I don't disagree with any of the pricing on that whole page

I myself am tired of seeing the typical "75g complete LIKE NEW asking $550 includes (Add random junk that you have to fix here)"

I hope they can somehow either learn from this as users or incorporate this as a pricing guide...there is a lot of flaming that goes on between PM's that are the result of ridiculous overpricing

I always say...if you don't like it...don't buy it

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
Someone said supply and demand are key factors in tank pricing. Another often-overlooked factor is just how badly someone needs to get rid of the tank. They're big, bulky and fragile. I like to check CL toward the end of a month, around moving time. If someone's moving and can't take the tank with them, that's when you'll find the bargains.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store