A question in regards to reef current!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which general type of corals do you prefer in your reef?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I have two 1600gph powerheads. One points towards the middle of the front of the tank, the other points towards the middle of the back of the tank. My question: Are these two powerheads too powerful for a 90g reef setup w/ liverock and softy corals?

I'm just afraid of creating a whorlwind of disaster if I keep them both running. Seems like a lot to me but the fish don't really seem to mind. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
No, that amount of water motion is fine for what you intend to keep. Remember that most of your fish experienced far, far more than that on a regular basis on the real reefs--assuming they were wild caught, of course.

FWIW, I prefer the hermatypic stony corals--what many would consider "sps."

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Nope, you sound fine, its hard to get too much current, really. Some things do prefer gentler current (IE Mushrooms), though, but You can just situate them in a lower-flow part of the aquarium.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Thanks. I guess it just seems more intense because I've moved up from freshwater where that kind of current wasn't required. I really appreciate your help!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
honestly i like all the coral. i do have my very specific favorite but i wont classify it.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Must be one of those corals that blurs the artificial line between "lps" corals and "sps" corals. I think I know what it may be, especially if it was on another thread...

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
hahaha we all knows its echino, but its mt favrotie coral, between sps and LPS i dk what i like more

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
everything here too. check my tank if you want its a 10gnano.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
definitely sps for me :)
I love LPS too, and definitely have favorites in that category.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
Funny, after about 25 years of SW, I've come back to having a FW planted(as well as my reef) and it's hard for me to wrap my head around the LESS flow and light.
SPS is usually touted as the more exp deal, seems to get more praise by the hardcore enthusiasts, but me, I need movement, so I like a mixed reef.
This also helps that you don't need the solar blazin mega light so many sps guys use, and you can use the shady spots for softies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store