Tank Idea/Need Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mother Yoda

is needing advice
Feb 11, 2007
Midwestern United States
Ok, after thinking about it I have decided that upgrading my 24 fowlr tank to a 40 gallon breeder tank would be a good idea because it would give my current fish (GSP/Eric Cartman) more room.

I was also wanting to put in some tank mates and I was thinking that putting in 2 Ceylon Puffers and/or 3 wolf eel bleinnies would be good in my book.

I have looked up ways to create wet - dry filters at home without help and hear they are cheaper.

But my questions for all of you is...

Would these animals be able to live together in a tank this size?

Do you know any aqaurium parts (like filters, protien skimmers, ect) that would be effective yet I could buy and/or create on the cheap?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
IME, most of those puffers can be nasty toward each other. Wolf eels, which are actually a basslet, are very territorial and don't usually do well together at all (I've never even heard of anyone trying to pair them, honestly). All in all, that tank is really too small for even one of these fish, IMHO. I would just consider switching the puffer and staying with that, but that's me.

Mother Yoda

is needing advice
Feb 11, 2007
Midwestern United States
IME, most of those puffers can be nasty toward each other.
I figured...

Wolf eels, which are actually a basslet, are very territorial and don't usually do well together at all (I've never even heard of anyone trying to pair them, honestly).
Is there another type of eel that can be in groups and that dosen't grow too large. I would prefer having an eel - like animal in the tank because they provide a good contrast in shape and color to the puffer but more importantly, are probably not going to be picked on (as much) as open water fishes.

I would just consider switching the puffer and staying with that, but that's me.
Fair enough, but do you know of a good way to get good aqaurium pieces for the cheap? (Or build them?)

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Hmmm, wolf eel is a basslet.. new one to me. I always knew they were not a true eel, but never knew what family they belonged to. I had one for many years in a 55G and it was VERY aggressive. It would eat a small puffer without question. Very cool animal though.

As for something "eel" like that gets along the only thing that comes to mind is the Engineer Goby/Convict Blenny.. another one of those "not" actually those type of fish. It looks like an eel when it grows up and is very peaceful.

Mother Yoda

is needing advice
Feb 11, 2007
Midwestern United States
Hmmm, wolf eel is a basslet.. new one to me. I always knew they were not a true eel, but never knew what family they belonged to. I had one for many years in a 55G and it was VERY aggressive. It would eat a small puffer without question. Very cool animal though.
Yeah I don't think my puffer would be small enough to be eaten. (unless if I bought a wolf eel that was much larfger than it).

But I don't blame you! They seem to be very neat, plus they are the smallest eelish fish that's common for sale, that might just be able to withstand the puffers agression.

As for something "eel" like that gets along the only thing that comes to mind is the Engineer Goby/Convict Blenny.. another one of those "not" actually those type of fish. It looks like an eel when it grows up and is very peaceful.
That would depend, I like the thought of having one... But would it be able to withstand the puffer if bitten and/or be able to avoid it downright? Would it be possibal for these gobies and puffer to be in the same tank or would the puffer maul the gobies?

Are snowflake or chain link eels also able to be in groups? (I was thinking two)

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
My experience with eels overall is very limited. I know snowflakes are one of the more peaceful/small eels and I have seen them in multiples in the same tank, but I don't know the size of tank required for them nor do I know how they would react with the puffer or be able to fend it off... hopefully someone else has clearer answers than I do.

I do know engineers like the be in groups and can be in a 40G.. but they may be too peaceful for a puffer and would not be a good match.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The morays don't really get along well together. I've even seen small snowflake eels fighting in a tank much larger than that, so I wouldn't recommend it. Any of the eels could potentially get picked on by a puffer or fish with similar feeding habits.

You mentioned something about aquarium pieces above. What exactly were you referring to?

Mother Yoda

is needing advice
Feb 11, 2007
Midwestern United States
The morays don't really get along well together. I've even seen small snowflake eels fighting in a tank much larger than that, so I wouldn't recommend it.
How much larger (I am not denying what your saying I am just asking because curiosity is killing the cat...)

Any of the eels could potentially get picked on by a puffer or fish with similar feeding habits.
I figured. I just thought they would stand a better chance of not being attacked by the puffer than other fishes because of their location. (Being at the bottom of the tank as apposed to the top or open water...)

You mentioned something about aquarium pieces above. What exactly were you referring to?
I was simply wanting to know if there is a cheap way to create an effective filter (a DIY filter). Or if there is one that's cheap but effective that's already for sale...

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
How much larger (I am not denying what your saying I am just asking because curiosity is killing the cat...)

I figured. I just thought they would stand a better chance of not being attacked by the puffer than other fishes because of their location. (Being at the bottom of the tank as apposed to the top or open water...)

I was simply wanting to know if there is a cheap way to create an effective filter (a DIY filter). Or if there is one that's cheap but effective that's already for sale...
It was a 100g system that was temporarily housing some juveniles. There was always a wimpy individual that got beaten up pretty badly.

Actually, their location is more of a problem. Puffers are natural (and cosmopolitan) substrate pickers. Bottom dwelling fish are just as prone, if not possibly more so, to getting nipped as those swimming around with the puffers. I've watched puffers and triggers nearly mutilate small bottom dwelling sharks.

Edit: as far as an effective filter, there are tons of options out there--DIY skimmers, refugia, algal turf scrubbers, media reactors, etc. I won't necessarily recommend one over the other, but I will say that they all have their place and you can benefit from any and all of them. The latter three are arguably easier to construct correctly, however, and can be cheaper. I usually recommend a combination of two or more of the above.

Mother Yoda

is needing advice
Feb 11, 2007
Midwestern United States
It was a 100g system that was temporarily housing some juveniles. There was always a wimpy individual that got beaten up pretty badly.
Well that stinks!

Actually, their location is more of a problem. Puffers are natural (and cosmopolitan) substrate pickers. Bottom dwelling fish are just as prone, if not possibly more so, to getting nipped as those swimming around with the puffers.
When I said bottom dwelling I more refering to animals which would prefer to be in the live rock. But I do remeber reading somewhere about that. I just didn't connect the two together...

As far as an effective filter, there are tons of options out there--DIY skimmers, refugia, algal turf scrubbers, media reactors, etc. I won't necessarily recommend one over the other, but I will say that they all have their place and you can benefit from any and all of them. The latter three are arguably easier to construct correctly, however, and can be cheaper. I usually recommend a combination of two or more of the above.
Are there instructions online for creating these filteration systems?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store