Chalice Lighting Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
posted this on Nano reef but figured id ask you guys too

I have a question about lighting of chalices

Im turning my 14gal into a true chalice tank and i was wondering whether or not 150watt MHS that i have over it are to much for them? i dont wanna put them in shade but if i absolutely have to i guess i will.

also how could i make the colors pop during the daytime of the tank. is there a specific cheaper antic(SP) that will mesh nicely with the sunpod and make the colors of these beauties come out more?

will use the Pumpkin Patch aka "miami hurricane" chalice as an example cause i already own it.. if i took it out of the shade in the biocube would the MHs wash out the color?

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
That will be fine, as long as they are carefully acclimated from whatever lighting regime they came from. At the shop I used to work at, some were kept at the top of the tank directly under 400w halides and about 6" from the surface.

Edit: as for actinics, the UVLs and Giesemanns work just fine for added "pop."

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
o wow! yea every coral i ever buy gets drip acclimated for an hour and a half so i think itll be good!

any idea about adding a light that will make the colors pop more?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
No, I mean acclimated to the lights.

As for "pop," do you want it from the halide or T5s or both. Look at my edit above for the T5s. I'm not sure of a double-ended lamp that has quite the pop that you might be looking for. One of my favorite lamps for sheer color is the ReefLux 12K, but they are only SE lamps. For 150w, most go for the Phoenix 14K, Ushio 14K, and EVC lamps.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
My opinion, 14k Phoenix by itself gives really nice colors.. best colors out of any MH bulb I have tried. Just doesn't give the best PAR, but for your purpose that is just fine.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
I want to add a light to my already 150watt MH Phoenix 14k bulb. but okay i understand what your saying. i think i mean to say like whats a good add on Antic wise or something that wont get shot out by the MH that will give it like an LED look

woops i got confused ACE got in there haha. would one of those lighting systems make much a difference though?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
You'll notice the actinic effect from either of those lamps, IME. It won't be as intense blue as many of the LED setups, but that's going to be more dependent upon the halide.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
T5's would be a better option. It is hard to add on actinics to a 150w MH on a 14G tank. Plus it would be washed out. A 4 bulb T5 with 1 ATI Blue +, 1 Fiji Pink, 1 UVL True Actinic, and 1 10k bulb would probably look the best IMO.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
the UVLs and Giesemanns these two? i mean i bet i could sell the MHs.
sometimes i feel like T5 lights make colors look better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store