Senegal Bichir growth rate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BondDouble08

Biology Major
Mar 8, 2010
OSU campus
Does any experienced handlers of senegal bichir know the average growth rate?

Mine has not had any significant growth in the 4-5 months that I'v had him, he's about 4inches long still.

I had him in a 29gal, and recently transfered him to a 55 gal with 3 angels, 2 tiger barbs, 3 ghost cats, 2 snails (mystery and ivory) and a recently added black ghost knife fish.

I know anything that can fit in the bichirs mouth is potential food so appropriate fish moves will be made when needed.

My main concern is that I go to school to OSU and when I went home for xmas break I put them on an automatic feeder with hikari sinking pellets, freeze dried blood worms, and flake food. I came down every weekend for a water change and feeding of frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. But I'm worried he did not get adequate food and it has stopped him from growing.

This ofcourse was around december, he is still an active member of the tank and readily finds and eats the carnivore pellets. (I have hear a round bichir is a happy bichir, and while he's not plump he looks perfectly healthy.)

So long story short having him for 4-5 months, with almost no growth (maybe 1/2 inch) feeding hikari carnivore ssinking pellots, frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. Can I expect him to grow anymore?

Oh and the tank is too small to house another senegal bichir correct?

Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store