my striped damsel is angry...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ziggyziggy

AC Members
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
this past saturday i purchased a pink tip anemone. i placed it in the tank and ever since then my striped damsel starting going berserk. it seems really angry and is now just attacking every fish in the tank except my big yellow tang. but it would attack my percula clown, blue damsel and yellow box. the clownfish seems really stressed out at this point cuz its just hiding in a corner. the blue damsel seems like it lost some scales. the boxfish is fine. i am starting to worry about my fish and would love to remove the striped damsel from the tank but i dont know how to net it out, it swims too fast. any recommendations on getting it out?

K9Decoy

Four-legged Fishkeeper
Dec 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
www.worldvision.org
Remember that damselfish also live with anemones in the wild, just like clownfish do. Perhaps the damsel is getting mean with everyone else because he is claiming the anemone you just added to be his own property. Keep in mind you have 3 fish in that tank that live with anemones in the wild, and adding it to your tank may be what is causing the chaos. If you really like the anemone, then you can get rid of the mean damsel (advice to catch him: get a bigger net!), but then who's to say the remaining damsel and clownfish won't fight over it too? It's a trial-and-error kinda problem and what you really want in that tank. Hope this helps!

K9Decoy

Four-legged Fishkeeper
Dec 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
www.worldvision.org
To coerce him out from the rocks, try bending a metal coat hanger and using that to spook him out into your net. Be careful not to damage rocks and other inhabitants! Hope this helps!

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
As time goes on, aggression in your tank will likely increase...anemone or not. You have three damselfish in a 45g tank with one fish that requires a 75-100g tank (yellow tang) and another fish that will require a 180g tank (yellow boxfish).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store