Sand or Gravel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nzmolina

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
North Las Vegas
I have a brackish tank, and I've been debating wether I should change my gravel to sand substrate. So I have a couple of questions. Would it keep my tank clean if I changed to sand? How do I clean sand? And what type of sand should I use for a brackish tank?

ShawnyO

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
Easton, PA
nzmolina,
I recently switched from gravel to sand and wont go back. It is remarkably cleaner in the tank as the debris floats on top of the sand till the filter can pick it up or I vacuum. As for cleaning the sand - as i learned from many on this site you just hover the vac over the surface and that does the trick. As for the sand itself there are lots of options - I personally used quickcrete brand all purpose sand as it is heavier and darker than play sand. After rinsing the sand REALLY well I actually was able to swap substrates with all inhabitants in the tank. Hope that helps
~Shawn

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
I like sand too for the same reason. I found with gravel tanks food would fall down into the gravel and be uneaten. In my sand tanks the food lays on top to be eaten up. Same goes for waste, lays on top until filter gets it.

I like creek sand personally. It typically is darker than play sand or what have you and is a great mix of neat colors. Find a clean stream and look for a bend where sand collects. In high water different sized substrate will stratify on the shore and you have your pick of what size you want. A quick rinse and you are good to go. Looks great and it's FREE!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
What fish are you keeping in there? What's the SG?

nzmolina

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
North Las Vegas
What fish are you keeping in there? What's the SG?
I'm not sure if you saw my response. Anyway I have Mollies & Bumblebee gobies and the sg is 1.007. I was wondering why you asked. I still haven't bought sand I wan't to make sure I get something safe I don't want to kill my fish.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I like creek sand personally. It typically is darker than play sand or what have you and is a great mix of neat colors. Find a clean stream and look for a bend where sand collects. In high water different sized substrate will stratify on the shore and you have your pick of what size you want. A quick rinse and you are good to go. Looks great and it's FREE!

Oooh, interesting idea. I have a creek not far from here, at least it's called "Roan Creek" on the old maps...but it's called a "drainage canal" nowadays and is heavily channelized. And runs through agricultural fields. Maybe if I picked it up soon before they start spraying for spring planting....hmm. Mostly cotton hereabouts, most years anyway. Will have to research what they spray on that. Don't want to give the fishies hormone problems. Bad enough I have a mollie that's been dropping fry continuously for the last month and a half. :(

thanks for the tip. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store