Nitrate Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishNet

AC Members
Sep 2, 2008
Hello Fellow Readers,

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions to reduce/eliminate high levels of nitrate. My water parameters and salinity are all within normal limits. I have zero Ammonia and zero Nitrite. My Nitrate always reads about 40. I do very large water changes, and it brings the nitrates down for a short period of time. Then it goes back up again.

Thank you, in advance, for your suggestions.

FishNet

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
How often do you do water changes? What kind of filtration are you using?
You may have to do smaller water changes more often, as well as clean you filter media more often.

Last edited:

FishNet

AC Members
Sep 2, 2008
Hello FinFanatic,

The aquarium is a 265 gallon tank. I have a wet/dry system. Water changes are done every two weeks, sometimes every week. I generally do about a 60 - 70 gallon water change.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
What does your livestock consist of and what is your feeding schedule? Do you have mechanical filtration and if so, how often do you clean it? Do you really need the wet/dry (most tanks do not)? What steps have you taken to promote forms of natural nitrate reduction--like refugia, healthy sand beds, algal growth/scrubbers, denitrators, etc.?

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
You'll find that wet/dry filters tend to be nitrate factories. Probably better off ditching the w/d and converting to a sump. Then you can start with the steps Amphirion suggested.
You didn't mention if you have a protein skimmer. Almost a must on sw tanks.
You're basically going to have to troubleshoot your tank - adjusting feeding amounts, stock, filtration, etc - until you find what works in lowering nitrates.

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
less light hours, less food, more maintenance on your filters. including any sort of mechanical filtration even the filter that goes in your overflow or floss if you have any.
My guess is you leave your lights on full all day and feed once or more times a day.
an algae turf scrubber like amph mentioned is also a fantastic idea if done right.

FishNet

AC Members
Sep 2, 2008
Thank you, Readers, for your comments.

The system has a large Euro-Reef protein skimmer.

I wonder if Amphirion can elaborate on his suggestion of "Algae turf scrubbers."

thanks,

FishNet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store