Goldfish outdoors, help ASAP?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I wanted to put my 5 Goldfish outside today. Day temps from 50-70F & night low 30F. Can I take them out or will it be too cold??
They are in 38gal bins until I can get a real pond, 100+ gallons.
I need an answer ASAP.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
If possible try to put them out during the day and then take them inside a night few a week or so. If the water has been at 70 or so all winter this will help them acclimatize to the water in the 40's slowly and not cause illness. In my experience goldfish can take temperature changes of 10-15F without issue. When you start doing more it can cause issues.

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
If they're in bins, the water will be much more suceptible to fluxuations in the air temp. If it were me, I'd keep them outside until the pond is dug.

Lugging huge bins like that back and forth is an undertaking, and not one I'd be much interested in doing for daytimes only.

nikond70s

AC Members
Jun 21, 2009
if your're afraid of the cold. put a heater in there and put the temp to 70 degrees till its warmer. then you can take out the heater.

thats what im doing in my pond with top view ranchu's. i put a 250 watt heater in the pond to prevent it from going below 50. works great.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
If you do put them outside make sure to cover them somehow to protect them from cats, birds, big thirsty dogs, etc...

Also, if they are in smallish bins and it is still getting to freezing or below, you may have ice issues, especially if they stay in the shade all day.

Jen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store