Coral Substitute Hosts for False Clowns or Skunk Clowns! Plz help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I'm unable to keep an actual anemone in m 90g. So I need to find a suitable substitute. I've heard Toadstools are the way to go. Any advice? :help:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Toadstools can work, but I think Frogspawns are the most common "alternative" for clowns to host in, although clowns are not the pickiest of creatures.. they will even host near a powerhead if they feel like it.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Toadstools can work, but I think Frogspawns are the most common "alternative" for clowns to host in, although clowns are not the pickiest of creatures.. they will even host near a powerhead if they feel like it.
Yes that is precisely my current problem.. My tank raised clowns decided to host on the suction cup of my heater, very near the surface of the water. I need to quickly find them a safer region in the tank.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Our pair of occellaris at home hosts a branching hammer, while the pair of occellaris in my office hosts a large green hairy mushroom. They don't seem all that picky, but do tend to fixate once they choose something.

I'd give a branching hammer or frogspawn a try. Either is relatively easy to find, not all that expensive, and a nice addition to many tanks, I feel.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
Really, just about anything kinda nem/tentacly should work, frog, hammer, torch.
A toadstool could work if they didn't bug it too much.
Why can't you keep a nem in your 90G?
Not that I push nems so much, just curious.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I have a mardarin dragonet and I am concerned that he might stray too close to an anemone and get... taken advantage of.. since he's a slow mover.

hmotorsol

AC Members
Apr 25, 2008
I am not sure euphylia(sp?) is the best. i know mine retracts when the clowns get in it. The local pet store has several hosting with colonies of duncans.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store