Dwarf flame angelfish with foggy eye

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
Hey all,

I have a dwarf flame angelfish which has been in my 20 gal QT for about a 1-1/2 weeks. The fish has been and still is eating well. I noticed today the fish has a grey foggy eye on one of it's eyes; the other eye appears fine. The foggy eye does not seem to be protruding, so I am not sure if this is pop-eye or not. I am preparing to do a 20% partial water change. Should I medicate this guy? I have some Binox (i.e. Nitrofurazone) on hand. Will Binox work for this application or should I use something else?

My parameters are:

Temp = 80 deg
S.G = 34 ppt (1.0255)
pH = 8.4
Nitrite/Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 20 ppm

Thanks!!!

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
it could be amonia burn?.. or it could be some kind of fungas..i don't know anything about the medication you have..i have never used it before..but i use to have a singapore angel that had both eyes cloudy and i treated with Mericyn plus? i think is what it's called..so you might try that..

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Hmm, just sounds like a bump or scratch on that eye. I would refrain from any treatment for the time being, since most of the injuries of this kind go away easily on their own. You can do the water change, though. Just keep water quality high and make sure it eats well and wait it out. If you notice the problem getting substantially worse or spreading, then treatment is in order. If that is the case, I would use something like kanamycin, neomycin, or a combination of the maracyn drugs. I would use nitrofurazone only if those don't work.

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
I already did a 20% water change and dosed the QT tank with Binox, stuff works well by the way, but its potent. I read that it could be bacterial of some sort, which could be caused by either poor water quality or from the fish store and stress. I am leaning towards the later since my parameters appear acceptable. I will hold off on a re-dose unless the problem persists.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It is likely bacterial, but chances have it that when it is only on one eye (especially if it isn't bulging), then it will go away on its own. Just keep observing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store