Testing my aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Contains Tests For:

Freshwater PH
Saltwater PH
Carbonate and general hardness
Nitrite ammonia
Carbon dioxide

Pretty much, all you're going to be using is ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH. There's only 2 of those in there.

R.A.W.

AC Members
Mar 6, 2010
Deepwater, Missouri
Any suggestions on a good test kit?

Thanks for pointing that out, Pufferpunk. I really didn't know what I was supposed to test for ... never put much thought into it before but now I want to be a better fish owner.

Any suggestions would be great.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I'm about to order the Tetra Laborett myself tomorrow. The API, for all its "master test kit" claims, only has essentially 4 tests (counting the pHs as one measurement.) And its $24. If you want GH and KH, which I most emphatically do as I am getting into shrimp and need to fine-tune my well water, you have to buy those separately for another $6.50.

The Tetra has them all in one set and the whole thing is $17. Yes the bottles appear to be smaller (looking at the Drs. Foster & Smith catalog as we speak) but they at least tell you how many tests each are good for (50 on the PHs and nitrite, 30 on the ammonia and "varies by water hardness" on the others) which API does not. They tell you on the refill bottles but not the master kit itself.

Like RAW I have never done testing before because before I started reading here I didn't realize the importance. And having just mollies & tetras lets you get away with such ignorance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store