Small Red Chill/Cactus Coral. Polyps no longer opening! Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I recieved this coral from the LFS in semi-poor condition. It had been placed on an upper level frag rack under strong metalide lighting (which I believe to be the cause of some deterioration and some sort of mossy algae growth on parts of the coral). In the LFS none of the polyps were extended, and I knew it may be a risky purchase but my intent was to revive it if possible (wasn't very expensive, so well worth it if I can save it).

As soon as I placed it into a little nook in my live rock, the polyps opened almost immediately and stayed that way for two days straight. I took a small eyedropper and spot feed it with some crushed mysis shrimp hoping to help stabilize it a little further.

It was fine another day, but then suddenly the polyps all closed again and haven't opened for the past two days. All my water sample tests came out perfect with the exception of nirates being just a little high, but at the same level they were when I first placed the coral. No dramatic changes have been made since.

It also has 2 cup corals growing on the same frag rock, but here is a semi-blurry photo (bad camera) of what it looked like its first few days in my tank, in case it helps.

Please offer any advice you can on this type of coral and what might help it out. I've done research on various sites but you guys always have great advice! <3 :feedback:

Red chilli cactus coral with polyps extended.JPG Red Cactus 3.JPG

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
These corals are very demanding in terms of nutritional requirements. They aren't photosynthetic and they need very regular feedings of varied, small phytoplankton and zooplankton (crushed mysids are still much too large). I would say every other day feeding may be the minimum. I haven't seen them thrive and grow in anything less--and the instances I've seen this are very limited in number. I can say with a good deal of certainty that yours is slowly starving, unfortunately.

The nutritional demands also can strain many tanks that aren't equipped to handle it. In your case, especially with higher nitrate, etc., it would be prudent to carefully spot feed like you are doing now, but with different foods. I would suggest trying some live phytoplankton blends (not absolutely necessary, but they don't cause quite the same problems as quickly), rotifers, oyster eggs, etc. Small spot feedings of these every other day may help bring it around. In fact, while you are trying to get it doing better, I would attempt it every night. To try to coax the polyps out, try adding a tiny amount to the water and shutting the sump or any filtration off while leaving circulation pumps on to distribute the scent. Once the polyps are out, reduce the flow a bit and spot feed it with any of the above foods.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
One the first and second days I did have some regular frozen brine shrimp flying about the tank that the fish hadn't yet consumed. Then a few of the polyps latched on to passing brine shrimp and did slowly eat them. Thats why I thought the crushed mysis might work.

But I'll definately pick up some rotifers or something similar as you suggested. Hopefully the poor little guy can hang on until then. Thank you so much for the advice!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
good news! I shut off the lights a little earlier tonight and a bit ago took a flashlight to peek in and two of its polyps were opened again! So once I get the right food going, it should hopefully be well on its way to recovery!

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I cant see the pic all that well but are you refering to a red Chilli Coral like this and sorry my photos arent very good either

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Yup mine is just like a mini version of that! Bumps and all! When its polyps are closed it kind've looks like a wierd little strawberry.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I am sure I just got lucky with mine but I had it for 4+ years and sold it about 1 year ago and its still doing good and it is at least 4-5 times bigger than when I first got it. I fragged it 4-5 times and the last time I knew the frags were growing good and mine grew well after that. I fed oyster eggs and cyclopees about once a week and kept it under overhangs to try to keep it out of the light and was told it does best being hung upside down but I never did that with mine and it grew fine oh and mine almost never opened up until the lights were off. I got 1 nice pic or at least I think so of a couple polyps and you can still see alot of polyps around them. I loved it when I caught mine fully opened with those snow white polyps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store