Light Suggestion For a Coral

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Basically ACES answer is what im looking for seeing as though its his coral.

Your StrawBerry patch Encrusting monti (not the the ATL little guy) has all its polyps and on the fringes is green but it seems a bit bleached.. i never really knoticed until today when i cleaned the crap out of my tank.

Although it has every polyps out and extended it still looks a bit bleached all around the center . so should i give it some shade.. put it higher.. put in the sand?

its just on a rock in whats considered the middle of my tank

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I thought the ATL was the big one. The true strawberry patch was the one with the dead center and just has 2 small pieces on the ends growing on yours. Which one are you talking about? The ATL came out of Guillo1s tank and it was about 4" from the surface under solar tubes.. That and the sunset monti in his tank got the most lighting out of any coral and they both looked great.

I say looked because he accidently nuked his tank using Chemi-clean. So warning on that, don't use chemi-clean (cyano/red slime remover) on an SPS tank. I was doing it on mine as well and wasn't putting 2+2 together until his problems, then I looked back and realized every time I did a chemi-clean treatment I lost a bunch of corals, but I only did 1/2 strength. He did full strength and killed all of his.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
yea i meant the bigger one :) confusing becuase they both have strawberry! so it defnitly needs high high light then!

and noted about cyano, surprisingly never have that problem in my little tank, only bad thing i get occasionally is some stinging and the occasional glass anem...

but once you shoot over to my big tank its back in full swing with the dinos again lol but ill keep the chemiclean in mind

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Ace, it may not have been the Chemi-clean that did the corals in but more perhaps the aftermath of what it does. I have used this product for years with great success. You do have to do a heavy cleaning right after you use it.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Nope, it was 100% the chemi-clean. Within 1 hour of adding it to the tank all the SPS corals flesh peeled off and the tank turned into a milk white tank. There is no question in my mind it was chemi-clean, and after going back and reading reviews on MarineDepot and seeing other people had the exact same problem, topped off with other locals chiming in saying yes, they too have seen that happen to SPS corals, I am going to go with Chemi-Clean as the cause. 1 hour is all it took.. it happened so fast there was no time to do a big enough water change for Guillo to be able to save any of his SPS corals, and he had a ton of nice ones.

I used it for many years without issues on my softy/LPS tank, and even this time the only thing that survived was softies and LPS, all SPS corals croaked in my tank and Guillo1's 240G tank.

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Bummer, I wonder if they have changed something in the formula then. I would also have to say the same thing then if it only took an hour for that to happen.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Yup.. the last line of the description on a lot of sites have the "Not available in California" line added now.

http://www.donstropicalfish.com/chemi-pure/
Boyd Chemi-Clean 6g
$20.99
Cynobacteria is usually encouraged with the presence of nitrate and ammonia, which are both fixed forms of nitrogen. Chemi-clean helps clean and remove this problem algae through its own unique process. Most other red slime removers use purely antibiotics, namely erythromycin to take care of the algae. The use of such substances with in your aquarium can have disastrous effects upon your nitrifying bacteria and cause your tank to crash, killing the inhabitants of your aquarium.The use of chemi-clean not only as a problem solver, when red slime is present, but as a regular maintenance procedure will help keep your water crystal clear and your tank free of unwanted cynobacteria.For best results, turn off UV sterilizer or Ozonizer and Protein Skimmer. Remove Chemi-Pure or Carbon Filtration for 24 hours following each treatment.It is advisable to do at least a 20% water change after full treatment.You must use an air stone when using Chemi-Clean. Place airstone in the aquarium prior to and during treatment. Removes disease causing red cyanobacteria (red slime) from live coral. Removes red slime, black, blue-green and bubble producing algae. Oxidizes trapped organic sludge and sediment. Clarifies aquarium water to crystal clear. Promotes ideal enzyme balance. Contains no phosphates, algaecides or erythromycin succinate. Safe for reef tanks, all invertebrates, desirable macro algaes, nitrifying bacteria and fish. Treats up to 300 Gallons. Sorry, not available in California

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store