Artificial shrimp rearing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Yeah...i know...sounds crazy right...but seriously though...

Is it even possible to do?

Here's why I ask. Seems like almost every time I do a water change, within 24 hours, I loose a single shrimp. Strange I know.

This time, it just happened to be a berried CBS. Drats! Never thought about it until now. If it would be possible to remove the eggs and incubate them somehow?

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
It is apparently doable, but not terribly easy. Perhaps someone else can post a link to the thread(s) that have discussed this in the past... but the gist of it is that you put the eggs in one of those metal mesh tea strainers and position it in front of the filter output. This keeps the eggs clean and moving around so they don't settle in any one spot (this is fatal to the eggs, as I understand). I believe I read also that it's not doable if you have snails or fish in the tank since they can pick at the egg through the strainer or something like that.

I tried this with CPO eggs but the eggs disappeared after a couple of days... :huh:

Sorry for your loss; I hate losing berried inverts :(

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I just read a nice article on another site about this. (not sure if I can mention the site or not so i'll just leave it blank).

Someone was successfull doing this with Blue Pearls.

I hope to not have to try this but might just in the event it happens again. I always like to experiment.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I would use a BBS hatchary. Try that with the eggs and see if they hatch.

Also aren't you concerned you loose a shrimp every water change. Are you matching temps, using a water conditioner, etc?
Not sure if I'm really "concerned" or not. It doesn't happen all the time but it is kind of strange that only one shrimpy dies. Doesn't lead me to suspect anything in particular.

I do treat the water, I do have it at room temp and.....I even run an airstone in the jugs for a few hours prior to the wc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store