Emersed first try, with a twist?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I have some dwarf sag that was growing (sort of) in my 1.5wpg 10 gallon. I got my hands on a 5 gallon cube and wanted to see if I could make this plant look nicer. When I bought it, I was given two plants since they were not in the best condition. I trimmed the brown/yellow leaf remnants and planted away. It perked up when I started diy C02 and Flourish dosing, but I wanted to get more light over it.

Now it's got a 24w CFL 6500k. I saw a neat "flood" technique on another forum (TPT). Every two days, I fill the tank about 1/3 full with dechlorinated water that has been dosed with Flourish. I let that sit for about an hour, then drain back down to substrate level. The OP states that it is similar to an "hydroponic ebb flow system". The plants pearl a bunch when the tank is filled.

I just added a tiny c. willisii that one of my mts dug up in my 10g, hopefully that won't melt much, if at all. I'm hoping this flood technique will bypass the whole growth-switch issue, but not sure it will.

This has been going for less than a week. The tips of the dwarf sag are browning slightly. I have not been misting, just plastic over the top. I am going to pick up a spray bottle tomorrow and hope that this will help prevent browning in-between floods.

PHEW! Still with me? :hi:

Okay! I wanted to get feedback from you smart plant people!! What do you think? I know dwarf sag is a fairly low/medium light plant... is this too much light? I'm really wanting to grab something carpet-y from my lfs (going tomorrow for some hardscape - yeah I'm backwards). I loooove UG, but my favorite lfs said they don't get it in much. What carpet would work with 24w and stay small/low? I have tahitian moon sand substrate, diy c02 eventually + Flourish.

Also - I have found conflicting info on how tall dwarf sag grows... from 2" to 10"! What's the correct answer?

Thanks for your time and help!!

Last edited:

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Dangit, I knew I was too long-winded! Bump. Just scroll down to the part I start asking questions, lol!

Also, what happens if I fill up the tank and leave it without filtration? Would I just be asking for algae?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Thanks, yeah don't want cyanobacteria! I'll keep up the ebb-n-flood technique and see how it does.

My tank is less than a foot high, hope the dwarf sag stays on the shorter side.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Would that be affected by lighting? I'd hate to plant the as mid-ground and have 'em reaching the surface! *crossed fingers*

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
Sounds like an interesting project. I'd be interested to hear the outcome. I have a 10 gal with flourite substrate, about 2" at one end with terraces up to about 5" at the other end. It has java ferns, regular & lace, red ludwegia, gold lysimachia, dwarf clover, lilleopsis, some stray bits of moss, & some Zebrina on the high parts. It is by an east facing window for light(how to measure that?) There is about 3-4" of water so the plants are emersed. A piece of plexi for cover lets in/out a small amount of air. No filter. Change about 1/2 the water every other week, with Kent pro plant & freshwater plant liquids in the replacement water. Eventually I will increase the water depth to simulate seasonal inundation. I was wondering about other plants such as dwarf sag in this setup. I have some in in another tank that is starting to spread so maybe I'll try it. Dwarf sag can be strange stuff - it will grow happily at about 2" tall for a long time and then suddenly shoot up(to @10") Much discussion about why it does this but I don't think anyone has come up with a definitive reason. It should be fine with your light. Lilaeopsis mauritiana is a nice ground cover, and needs less light than brasil grass. The main problems I have found with small plants like HC is they are a royal pain to plant & need higher light. Good luck and keep us updated on how it's going. Also pics are always appreciated!:)

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Hi Steffish, wow your set up sounds awesome! I wish I'd thought to try terracing a bit when I first set up my tank. Thanks for the info about dwarf sag growth. I'm getting some hardscape this weekend... I'll shuffle things around a bit then.

Also pics are always appreciated!
Ask, and ye shall receive! (actually, I finally found my usb cord to pull pics from my digicam.

Dwarf Sag when it was on my 10 gallon
3-19-10dump 053.jpg

1st day
3-19-10dump 058.jpg

4th day
3-19-10dump 065.jpg

7th day
3-19-10dump 067.jpg

I love c. willisii (on the left) - especially the little baby plants!

I have photos of the partial fill on my iphone... have to see if I can get that on here, too.

3-19-10dump 053.jpg 3-19-10dump 058.jpg 3-19-10dump 065.jpg 3-19-10dump 067.jpg

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Awesome project... keep the updates coming!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store