Clownfish with No Anemone Rant!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
If I hear one more person tell me or write in general that a clownfish doesn't need an anemone to survive I think I'll go postal! Seriously - this is annoying. I doubt there are too many people out there thinking "I really want a clownfish but I don't want an anemone." The reason most people want a clown - at least the people who you would tell this to - is to see the clown interact with the anemone. They're neat fish on their own, but some people post as if this revelation is some big relief! It's not. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that a clown uses the anemone for protection in the wild, but isn't dependent on it for it's basic survival needs.

Ok, done with rant.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Most of the time this advise is given because anemones are difficult to keep. Most saltwater newbies don't realize how much work an anemone takes. Since clowns will often host things that are not anemones you can still see this behavior without all the work. It was a relief for me because I knew I could keep a pair of clownfish but not need such a mature tank and more powerful lighting.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Just to get you going a little more... I know many more people that have clowns without an anemone then I do with an anemone. ;) Most people that are really into corals know that anemones are the devil around other corals since they like to get up and take a walk around the tank time to time, killing other corals in the process.

Also, most clowns are tank raised, never seeing an anemone in their lives, so it isn't the same as nature where it is almost a requirement they have one for protection.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I hear what you're saying, but when I read it I get the impression that the people think that telling people this is a good thing. Like that's what they want. It's not. Newbies want this relationship - and then later learn that it's usually not going to happen.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
Actually I think most just want a nemo starting out.
Some people actually get the advice that clowns NEED a nem, which is not true.
I actually do not recommend a nem in small tanks.
Also, depending on clowns, they may never take to a nem, or may never show that symbiotic relationship.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Wanting a nem for Nemo is the worst scenario, as Ocellaris are very picky about their nems. Generally they want a Ritteri or a Giant or Merten's Carpet all of which are among the most particularly difficult to maintain. Better to fudge it with a true Perc and a BTA.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Wanting a nem for Nemo is the worst scenario, as Ocellaris are very picky about their nems. Generally they want a Ritteri or a Giant or Merten's Carpet all of which are among the most particularly difficult to maintain. Better to fudge it with a true Perc and a BTA.
My experiences have taught me the opposite.. Ocellaris clowns seem to be the ones that will host is just about anything possible.. Percs and Maroons are the finicky ones.

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
Either way an anemone hosting a clownfish is so much cooler than an aimless clownfish.. I found without my anemones they just free swim looking as if they forgot what they we're going to do next.. All my fish seem to have jobs and things they like to do and take care of.. When I introduce anemones I get an excitment from my clowns that I do not get otherwise, and I like to think that giving them the opperunity to have the anemone and to follow through with something they would feel the urge to seek out and do in the wild then it must be healthier. My clownfish host any anemone I throw in and are way more active. But I agree with the fact that you don't need an anemone to have a healthy clownfish.

Isn't this half the reason we get into marine fish? I mean otherwise I would just have gotten some colourful freshy stuff..

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
so what are you mad about?
people saying that clowns dont need anemones? even though you know its true you dont want people to say it so that theyll get anemones?
No. I've just been on several boards, including this one, where people had an anemone question and someone always pipes in that "you know, a clownfish doesn't need an anemone to survive." It's the general tone that you don't have to get an anemone when the point is that the person wants one. I think I was just in a bad mood when I started this thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store