Anyone tried the new Coralife Aqualight HO fixtures?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
Hello all, has anyone tried these new coralife Aqualight High Output fixtures yet?

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp57012/si4295014/cl0/aqualighthot5duallampfixture36

I have a 65g planted tank currently with two 30" normal output T5 double strips (72w total) and I was looking to upgrade the lighting. its just not as bright as I expected. I am limited to around 80-90w of power due to my other tanks in my basement, and I was thinking that the high output fixture might be my best bet. the link I posted is the saltwater version, but I believe these new fixtures come in a freshwater version as well (1 6700k, 1 colormax).

will 78w of hight output lighting be worth the upgrade over 72w of normal output?

any experiences? thanks.

here is a pic of the tank currently.

IMG_0235.JPG

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
I would say the Nova fixtures are the better item in this case based on the individual reflectors. When it comes to high output T5 lighting, reflectors are of the utmost importance.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
that's the same fixture i posted, only for more than i paid with 2 extra bulbs and shipping. check the drs foster and smith link above.

EDIT: and they're still in stock...

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
which ever fixture I get, I will be buying from the LFS as they have all the nova, coralife etc fixtures. I just have to decide which one..

do the Nova Extreme fixtures have to be mounted on legs? most of the time when I see them on tanks they sit directly on the glass tops.

these new coralife fixtures seem to be sitting quite high on the legs that they come with...

thanks for any responses.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
the 2 bulb fixture doesn't have a fan... the 4 bulb does. i wouldn't put it up without the legs but i guess it could be done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store