Shell Dweller question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

2brown347

AC Members
Oct 18, 2009
I'm planning on starting a couple tanks for smaller cichlids and shell dwellers are a obvious choice. I'm thinking of getting either neolamprologus brevis or Neolamprologus multifasciatus. I'm still in my researching stage though, so I'm here to ask a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to.

1. I don't want to deal with rehoming loads of fry, but every site about their care talks about male:femle ratios. I'm wondering if either of them can be fine by themselves, or in a group of the same sex (more likely females I'm guessing). If it'll greatly effect their health or social behavior I can deal with finding homes for fry, but I'd rather not.

2. Every site says that they need harder water and higher ph, which is no problem, but I've noticed a lot of people that have them talk about putting other top swimmers with them. I'm wondering if the top swimmers are having to deal with higher ph and harder water or through breeding are some of these guys able to thrive with normal ph and water hardness.

I can do whatever is needed to care for them, but I'm just trying to get some first hand knowledge on top of what various sites have said.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Of those 2 species, multies are the more prolific breeders and they are also a colonial species; so IMO, it is easier to keep a group of them in the same tank, than it is with N. brevis. I have 8 multies in a 20gal long and at least 3 of them are males and they only chase each other and nothing more happens. With brevis it may be a little bit more difficult for the males to tolerate each other. Also as multies are a colonial species, it is possible to keep a few generations of them in the same tank. With the brevis, you may have to remove the fry after some time.
As for the addition of top swimmers with the Tang shellies, you should use species that thrive in high pH and hard water as the shell dwellers do and need to be happy. Commonly used dither fishes as top swimmers for a shellie tank are: small rainbowfishes, livebearers and danios.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I've kept multi's for years, but I've never kept male/female only. I'm thinking they would be ok, but why do that, the neat thing about keeping them is they colonize, don't eat their fry. I'd start with a male, 2 females and 10 or so shells (I use whale eye shells). I've found once the #'s get too high for the floor space, they start to cull the colony themselves.

A good way to keep the fry #'s down is to keep them with top swimmers. I've kept mine with swords, danio's, platy's, oto's, even cichlids. Multi's are avid diggers, digging to the tank floor glass. I've read they do this cuz in the wild they like to hunt for food from below. I've tried them with java fern and anubias tied to shells. They make such a mess digging, the sand ends up coating the plants, doesn't look very nice.

Give them a try, it's really neat to see them w/fry.

2brown347

AC Members
Oct 18, 2009
The main reason for not wanting to deal with the fry is that I'm gonna be starting them in a small tank due to living in a dorm next year and figure trying to rehome them all could be a hassle. I've heard that they'll get rid of the fry if they think the populations to high but I don't really want more then 3 full grown to be in the tank at any time. Like I said I understand the appeal of having males and females, and I can deal with fry, but I'd prefer not to if it doesn't hurt the fish.

Also I'm planning on species only, my question was more aimed to see if some varieties of shellies were being housed in lower ph and hardness than usually suggested. You did answer my question in a round about way though so thanks.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
How big is the tank(s) you are planning to have?

2brown347

AC Members
Oct 18, 2009
I'd love to be able to pull it off in a 5 because I have a perfect sized shelf for 5 gallon tanks, but I know floorspace is important and a 10's better so a 10 gallon, unless someone comes in with a amazing story of great success with 5 gallons (scoop of sarcasm with a pinch of hope haha)

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
With multies, a 5 wouldn't surprise me at all.

2brown347

AC Members
Oct 18, 2009
If that's the case I'd definitly prefer to use a 5. I made this stand:

(the picture doesn't do it justice but it looks rather nice in person, and yes it's level)
and I would love if I could have the tank fit, but like I said I'd find a another place if it couldn't. If I did use a 5 what would you recommend for stocking and filtration (I'm guessing something rated for at least a 10).

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
IMHO, I really think you should start with a 10gal instead of a 5gal.

2brown347

AC Members
Oct 18, 2009
IMHO, I really think you should start with a 10gal instead of a 5gal.
I completely understand this as bigger is better with any fish (hell if I had the money and space I'd house betta's in 350gallon tanks) but due to space a 5 gallon would work a lot better for me. I said earlier I was thinking a 10 (without knowing where I'd put it) but if they've been kept in 5.5 gallons with success I'd go that route. I'm not new to keeping so maintaining water quality (even in a small tank, I keep scarlet badis in a 5.5 right now) isn't a problem. I personally don't feel keeping a 1inch fish in a 16x8 aquarium is worse than keeping a 13inch fish in a 4ft by 18inch aquarium granted the fish aren't hyperactive swimmers. Just my view but I respect what you're saying and I am interested in hearing why you feel that way, since like I said I'm still in the early planning stages.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store