Breeding Panda Corydoras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SecretAsianFish

AC Members
Jan 23, 2010
Puget Sound area in Washington
I would like to breed panda cories. They are so awesome little buggers. The have twice the personality of their tank mates the Aeneus and they are pretty.

Any tips or journal type things on breeding them?

I'm just in breeding mode now. I'm breeding endler's, guppies, platies, tetras and barbs already. I'm waiting on my apistos and angels right now.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
They're pretty much like any other cory as far as breeding triggers go. I do find, though that they don't produce clutches as large as say the bronze cories (up to 200 eggs at once?! My pandas have never done that!). Mine mate several times a week, but only produce about a dozen or so eggs each time.

Provide plants for them to lay the eggs on, and feed a varied diet (mine get flakes, algae wafers, bloodworms, and zucchini). Keep the water quality good; I do 50% water change with vacuuming (in the unplanted areas only, as the Crypt areas are too dense to vacuum in) weekly. I frequently see mating activity immediately after water changes.

If I want to raise up some fry, I have to take the eggs out of the main tank, otherwise the tetras eat them and the wigglers. If you have a dedicated panda tank, a good clump of java moss, other bushy plants, or sticks will provide likely be enough protection for the fry and you can leave them in with the adults (no personal experience with this, though, so take that with a grain of salt).

Fry care is like other cories- clean water, plenty of fine-particle food, mid 70s temperature, and lots of water changes to get out the uneaten food. The eggs hatch in ~5-7 days, and start eating about three days after hatching. It takes 7-8 weeks after hatching for the fry to fully color up and look like a miniature adult (~3/4 inch long).

They're great fish, and tremendous fun to raise. I have a series of blog posts about the first few batches of eggs I raised, if you're interested in looking. Here's the direct link to all the panda cory posts, so you don't have to wade through all the knitting and weaving and other non-fishy posts.

Last edited:

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
Agree. Mature females are bigger than the males, and plumper. When they're full of eggs and ready to go, their bellies are so big that they sort of "teeter" when they rest on the bottom.

They're also the ones being chased all the time!

SecretAsianFish

AC Members
Jan 23, 2010
They are about 1.5- 1.75 inches long. When will they be sexually mature? Should I move my 2 Aeneus to the 16 with the bicolor corydoras and get more pandas? I would love a school of 6 but they are so darn expensive ($7*6=$42). That's a lot for a 14 year old (Yes I bought my 2 Blue Angels at $20 a piece but I had money then)

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
stick with what u got if u breed all ur fish where u going to grow them out, ur baby angels will need moving and seperate tanks as will ur male female livebearer babies so u can sort out a strain... Concentrate on one thing at a time, let ur pandas mature and breed the easy stuff first, how many tanks do u have now and are they all full.

SecretAsianFish

AC Members
Jan 23, 2010
I have too many tanks (most not setup) and more tanks coming.

Empty Tanks:
25 High
20 regular
20 high
20 long
5 hex
5 hex
5 regular

Tanks for breeding:
20 gallon: Betta

There's so much livebearer fry that I'm going to use them to feed the adult fish.
I have 3 Silver Tip Tetra 3month old fry. 1 Cherry Barb 6 month old fry. I have also had unsuccessful Cardinal, Bleeding Heart, Black Phantom, Rummynose and Gold Barb spawns. All eggs are eaten. I was suprised by the Bleeding Hearts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store