Efficiency and Definitions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MOA

AC Members
Aug 16, 2009
Hello Again,

Last time I was here I received lots of fantastic input from the users of this forum with regard to my data collection endeavors. Because of all your help, I have changed my data collection process and, more importantly, have edited a lot of my basic definitions:

http://sites.google.com/site/moashowmanyfish/efficiency-project

I hope this new set of definitions proves more suitable and more accurate.

Thanks,
MOA

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
(IFUs/Gal.) X (Feeding Schedule Factor) X (TRANSFER FACTOR) = (Gross Nitrate per Day (ppm))

I'm not quite sure as to how the above equation makes sense. Since you don't have evidence to support the above relationships among the 4 variables, you should rewrite the equation, assuming sort of linear relationships:

GN per day = a + b1 x (IFUs/Gal.) + b2 x (Feeding Schedule Factor) + b3 x (TRANSFER FACTOR) + e.

A bigger problem is you use binary, categorical and semi-continuous variables in your survey. Thus, you just cannot plug in those numbers and do calculations.

MOA

AC Members
Aug 16, 2009
hello,

Maybe I overdid it. The equation is the definition of the transfer factor, the rate at which biomass is converted into nitrate per day. It's that simple, just a ratio that transforms one variable into the other. The fourth variable, the feeding schedule factor, is actually part of the overall biomass variable.

Also, I admit that I ask lots of non-numeric questions in the survey. No less, as I stated in my description, those answers are not part of the computations. I already have an example plugged into the spreadsheet if you care to look (bottom right of spreadsheet, Quick Results).

Make more sense?

MOA

MOA

AC Members
Aug 16, 2009
Hello,

Well, it will probably please a lot of aquarists to know that with my new definition of efficiency it currently seems that planted tanks are back on top. Currently, the two best tank efficiencies belong to Newman and ILuvMyGoldBarb. Both of these aquarists report their aquariums as being heavily planted. Nonetheless, it is far to early to say whether or not this is a general trend for all planted systems, but it is beginning to look that way.

MOA

MOA

AC Members
Aug 16, 2009
Well,

An unplanted tank has joined the data set (from cooltow1, who breeds goldfish and has all sorts of tank systems but usually does not keep much in the way of plants). Cooltow1's tank is the second best with regard to efficiency--challenging planted tanks' hold on the lead with regard to efficiency.

MOA

MOA

AC Members
Aug 16, 2009
Hi,

Well, the planted tanks are starting to pull ahead in the efficiency listings. So far the data set is 50/50 with regard to number of planted tanks and number of non-planted tanks.

Current Transfer Standings:

Planted Tanks----15.87% Average Low Transfer from Biomass to Nitrate
Non-Planted------39.32% Average Low Transfer from Biomass to Nitrate

As such, based on the little data available so far, planted tanks (in general and as systems) are about 2.5 times more efficienct than non-planted tanks (this stat could change tomorrow :) ).

Thanks,
MOAS

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store