Copperband and Scopas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I got a copperband yesterday from the LFS. I was very concerned about how my scopas tang would react to the newcomer and made this clear to the LFS, who said that he gets along with his current tankmates, and if the scopas hasn't been too aggressive it should be ok, but it really depends on the individual fish and he can't guarantee anything. To his credit, I could have bought any fish so he wasn't trying to "sell" me on something.

A few weeks back I had an issue when I brought a small pygmy angel home and my coral beauty chased him all over until I took him out and traded him back.

When I acclimated the copperband the scopas would chase him away, but wouldn't pursue like the coral beauty would with the pygmy. Once in a while he would follow him to make sure he didn't come back. After some debate, I felt that the copperband was a little smarter and knew how far he could push the scopas. I was also encouraged that the copperband has been picking at the live rock and has been eating brine and mysis shrimp. The LFS said a problem at first is to get the fish to eat.

Today I've been watching them. Scopy has been making half-hearted threatening gestures towards the copperband, but nothing like yesterday. He just makes a move, the copperband moves away, and that's it. I'm hoping that the scopas has made his point and is starting to just get used to him.

What do you guys think? Is this a timebomb or will the copperband know to not antagonize the scopas and respect his authority as tank master? Given the choice, I'd pull Scopy out and trade him in - even with the 1/3 payback the LFS offers. The copperband is a much prettier fish and the scopas doesn't eat any algae, which he is supposed to do.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
For anyone who was keeping track, the two fish seem to be getting along now. I've seen the copperband swim right in front to the scopas without any incident at all.

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
Usually when you introduce a new "friend" to an established tank, you should re-arrange the aquascape. The current fish have already staked out the claim to their territory and the new fish is an intruder. If you re-arrange the rock work/decorations, usually all the fish get disoreinted and instead of fighting, spend their time trying to find new places to hide and establish new territories.
Even if you didn't do this, there is a good chance the scopas would have eventually accepted the copperband.

zeeter

AC Members
Jan 24, 2010
I did that as best as I could. I also turned all of the lights off during acclimation. Did pretty much all I could to keep things peaceful. Luckily I think we're ok now, though.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I think you're in the clear. If problem were to erupt, it would have done so by now--even more likely immediately after adding the fish.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Totally different situation than the Pygmy/Coral Beauty thing. They're closely related fish known for being extremely agressive to closely related fish. The odds of that combo working out in any "normal" sized tank are slim and none, and Slim's on his way out of town! If you told your lfs that you had the CB and they said the Pygmy was ok you need to be very skeptical of what that person says in the future. The Scopas/Copperband is just normal curiousity and general territoriality. Just don't add a Yellow Tang!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store