Looking for advice on suitable Tang fish for current reef setup!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I have a 90g reef. For corals current and future, it will be Zoa's, softies, and some LPS. Are there any Tangs are are more likely to fit in with these corals without disturbing them? I've heard Hippos will nip Zoas but have been having trouble finding solid information on a lot of the different kinds of tangs and their reef capatibility. Please post with personal experience if you have any! Thank you!! :confused:

It'll be a month or so before i head to the LFS so I have plenty of time to research and get opinions from you guys! Most helpful forum ever!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I've had a yellow tang in our 90g reef with a wide variety of corals with no issues. A good friend has kept a blue hippo tang in his 75g reef of softies / zoas / palys / various LPS and not had any problems with it nipping at corals.

In any case, individual fish will have their own personality and tendancies. I wouldn't worry about either of those two tangs nipping at or eating corals. They will, however, pick the algae off from in between polyps or on the rock near corals, which may make it look like they are bothering corals.

justsomeguyinvt

AC Members
Sep 21, 2007
in Vermont
I had a Yellow Eye Kole Tang in my 90gal reef with zoa's, softies and LPS and he didn't bother any of it. Was a great fish. His picture is actually on my credit card lol

meera

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2009
I have a hipo tang in my 75-gallon with a few softies, polyps and shrooms and he's peaceful as can be. My coral beauty angelfish on the other hand.......

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
I have a yellow tang in my 60g. Perfect resident. Kole tangs area also very nice and suitable for that size tank. I wouldn't think you would want a 1 ft fish in a tank that size.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Think a yellow tang would be too aggressive to tank with a mandarin dragonet in a 90g? planning on buying the tang young if i get one.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
With a mandarin? That's pretty unlikely to be an issue. Other tangs, similar shaped and colored fishes, fishes with similar diets and dwelling levels are a much more likely possibility.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Well I went with a yellow tang, he's only an inch at the moment and doing very well. Him and the Mandarin like to hang around together for some reason. They aren't fighting or anything just constantly very near eachother and following eachother around. Must be fast friends I guess.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I know you've already got the tang now, but just to add, I kept a yellow tang with a mandarin and corals with absolutely no problems. The only time I had issues was she started to outgrow my 60gal and became a bit aggressive to all tankmates, especially my yellow striped maroon clown. Since they've all been in the 180 they all behave like angels!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store