Male Dwarf Gourami Popped His Clogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Scuppers

AC Members
Jan 8, 2010
Oklahoma
I have never lost a dwarf gourami before yesterday, here is what happended and your thoughts would be appreciated.

Tank is a 75 moderately planted. Temp=78 Ph=7.4 NH3=0.0 NO2=0.0 NO3=20. Community tank inc. two more males dwarfs a pair of 3 spots and one pink. The rest are tetras, loaches, cats and Endlers.

About mid-day yesterday spent some time feeding dried tubafix from the end of a cocktail stick, fish were having fun and so was I. The gouramis are totally passive together. Once the fish had their fill I sat and watched the race. About three hours later one of the dwarfs is on his side looking really bloated. I put him in isolation with some salt and bicarb. he lasted about one hour and expired. While in isolation he would make sporadic lunges for the surface. His fins were all jacked out yet he was breathing normally and his gill color looked fine. His belly was really swollen though.

What do you think, did he gorge on the worms too much and they swelled in his belly as they hydrated?

Looking forward to your response(s)

Last edited:

Scuppers

AC Members
Jan 8, 2010
Oklahoma
BTW....I do not think it was dropsy as there was absolutely no "pine-coning" or bulging of the eyes etc.........

Here is another quick question...different fish....I have a 2" mollie that I think is blind, is this possible?

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
are the worms dried tubifex worm cubes? cuz then it is definitely possible he was bloated after the worms hydrated in his stomache

I stopped feeding brine shrimp cubes for that reason alone

Not sure about actually being "blind" per se
But I know older fish can get cataracts like most elderly people and animals develop in old age

Scuppers

AC Members
Jan 8, 2010
Oklahoma
Great reply thanks, I am leaning towards the worms hydrating and swelling inside him. I have seen pidgeons bust their guts after eating dried corn then drinking. I'll be more careful in future. Getting an absolute perfect pair of breeding dwarfs (gouramis) this Friday so will be especially careful from here on in.

Thanks for your comments about the blindness too, she was a lovely Molly with jet black eyes, but swam into everything and beat herself up badly.

Doing a 20% water change as we speak for physcological reasons right now even though water tested just about perfect at 7.4, 0.0, 0.0, 20.0

Thanks again.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store