fish illness expert???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Are there any experts in fish illness on here?
I keep having the same issue that ends up with dead fish. Nothing I do stops nor slows it down.
I have posted about it before, but no one knows anything!
Is there a person elsewhere I can email and talk to??

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
the best suggestion I have is to post your problem again and maybe something that someone missed the first time will pick up on it this time. The forum is full of experts.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Thin Platy, don't eat, no poo that I can see. They eventually hide and die. Lost 10 like this. I have a big tank they breed in, but none of the females had babies recently that are now sick.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
0-0-0, 78F, water change every 8-9 days. It's all 0 because the tank is stocked to the brim with plants. No new fish or plants, ext.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
What about water chemistry? If you can maintain the hard and alkaline water that platies prefer, other than that you should be set - they aren't fussy but like all fish they need stability. If you're having fluctuations from say, dosing CO2, and your water is on the low end in KH, it may be a problem. However the symptoms you describe sound to me like something intestinal. Have you ever looked for worms on them? I had a Camallanus outbreak on my platies, it's very serious stuff - and unfortunately rather common in pet store "mutt" livebearers. Here's a pic of what they look like:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_865fXy_d37w/Str-kQ-MRLI/AAAAAAAAD_I/vGf9cvJ8gsQ/camallan.jpg

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I have not seen worms on the fish. As soon as I notice the fish are even a little on the thin side, they do not eat. So medicated food would only help the fish that look healthy still. Is there anything for the water I can add? If so, where?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store