Hydrometer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

R.A.W.

AC Members
Mar 6, 2010
Deepwater, Missouri
Just need a good hydrometer that preferably doesn't cost too much.

Needs to be able to take SG for a slightly brackish molly tank (so about as low as it can go).

Thanks.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, any of the better hydrometers aren't going to necessarily be cheap. A usually cheaper alternative to lab-grade hydrometers are refractometers. Good ones can be had for ~$45 and when calibrated, are more than good enough. They are easier to use and require a bit less work than a hydrometer, too.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Instant Ocean makes good ones for cheap. So does SeaTest.

jedc53

Registered Member
Apr 15, 2010
According to me a good hydrometer price are $4.99.I have got my floating hydrometer from Petco for like $4.99.If you were to hang the hydrometer in the tank permanetly.

MarquesKanvide

Registered Member
Aug 12, 2010
A hydrometer is a measuring instrument for measuring the density of a liquid relative to water..Hydrometers are used in so many ways, but the most common use is for wine, beer and mead makers is determining the alcohol content of a homemade beverage.It is pretty easy to use a hydrometer.It is a very simple tool for checking the specific gravity of a liquid.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Really I would suggest a refractometer. The commonly available hydrometers aren't accurate from each one to each one, and most don't measure accurately. Also break fairly easily. I've went through a bunch. My refractometer is still here.

I had an Instant Ocean one that I thought was working well. Well when I brought my refractometer the water was actually reading 1.017 on the refractometer compared to 1.021 on the hydrometer....and the lower the salinity the worse they tend to read (IME), so for brackish I wouldn't use one.

So yeah I don't trust 'em, especially not the instant ocean ones.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Thing is though, BW doesn't have to bee as spot on, as a reef. Even refractometers need calibrating to be sure.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Thing is though, BW doesn't have to bee as spot on, as a reef. Even refractometers need calibrating to be sure.
True @ brackish not needing to be spot on and refractos needing calibrating.

But I tested all the hydros they had out at my friends LFS against my refactometer and none of the hydros were reading anywhere near each other. And only one read accurately compared to my refractometer.

So I'm just not real big on them.

Though, I suppose if exact salinity isn't a big issue like in brackish, I'd suggest the seachems since they seemed to be the closest. They also didn't seem to stick as much as the instant ocean ones did even after cleaning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store