Purple Frogspawn Frag: Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Ok I am a HUGE newb at this whole reef thing. I recently purchased what was described as a 1 head purple frogspawn frag. It seemed to be fine the first couple days until it was attacked by an evil shrimp :rant2: . I observe it frequently and have yet to see its 'tenticles' sweep out at night (i use a flashlight to spy) . It still hasn't returned to its 'normal' state like it was at first. Just did a water check and everything is in its proper place, no recent fluctuations of any sort. It has proper lighting and flow.

I've included pictures if that helps. The first two are close ups of the frag itself (i hand to hold it because my camera sucks - also note the branches aren't always quite that receded but have been much more so since the attack). The others are how it looked before the attack.

So to get to my questions (please also include any personal experience you've had with these corals as I could use all the help I can get):
Can it ever recover from the shrimp snagging a few of its branches?
Was this frag even properly fragged to begin with?

purple frogspawn frag1.jpg purple frogspawn frag 2.jpg Front view of frag.JPG Side view of frag.JPG

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Thank you, that helps a bit. I'll have to research the dip. that is exactly what happened to my poor little frag.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
More info. It doesn't seem to be putting out any sort of tentacle at night and recedes quite a bit more into its skeleton :(

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Perfectly normal for a FS to retract at night but I think thats the leats of your worries. There is tissue missing and that is never a good sign. FS are fairly hardy corals. Not that I recommend it but I have seen people break of head with their hands and the frags are fine. Can you provide some info on your tank (lighting and flow in particular). What kind of shrimp did that BTW?

Euphyllias do not like hard, direct flow. You essentially want a sheltered flow so that the polyps move back and forth just enough. My FS is larger that a softball with too many heads to count and I think I have only seen its sweepers once in the year I have had it. I keep mine on the sandbed and spot feed it mysis shrimp about once every two weeks. If you haven't fed your you might give it a try.

Edit: Also do you have any other corals in the tank? If so what kind and are you seeing any decline in their health?

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I use T5HO, two actinic and two 12000 daylight bulbs, 4 LEDS. The coral has a very moderate indirect flow that (before it was attacked) just let the branches extend fully and kindve wiggly gently about. It seemed perfectly happy before 'the incident' involving the least likely of culprits, a peppermint shrimp. I know it was him because I caught him at it with a flashlight and nope, he's no camelback, straight peppermint (since been removed).
The only other frags I have in the tank are a red chill cactus coral, which after a few feedings now extends its polyps every night and is healthy. I also have a small frag of zoas which open with the lights each day (i spot feed them phytoplankton). All of them are spaced well over 8 inches away from eachother.
The rest are all in superb health. As was the PFS before the shrimp started getting at it.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sounds like a good setup for a FS. I think all you can do it give it time to recover and keep up on your water quality. Try not to move it around or handle it. You could try a dip but I think I would definitely try and feed it and see if it take some mysis. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I took another look at the "before" pic and I do seem some skeleton on the right side of the frag. It is possible that the coral was in poor health when you got it and the shrimp was just doing what it does. Just a thought

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
should i just feed it similar to the other corals? just suck up some mysis in a dropper/pipette i have and kinda shoot near it? I have read conflicting info on whether I'm supposed to feed at night or during the day.

i'm planning on heading to the store tomorrow so i can prepare a dip for it.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Feed during the day when the polyps would be most expanded and yes use a dropper to target feed what you can. It may not eat right away but I would try daily. Just a few mysis a day to see if you get a feeding response. You will notice it fold its polyps in if it is receptive. Might want to kill your pumps and PHs for a minute as well so you can be sure the mysis settles on the polyps and the FS has a chance to grab them. Hoping for the best!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store