Another cory question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

illinidorry

AC Members
Feb 2, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Picked up 4 julii or false julii cories today. Not sure which they are yet. Three seem to be doing well. They will sit still for a while but move around and do their thing and come up for air everyonce in a while but one guy just sits at the bottom motionless unless me or another fish nudges him. I seen go to the top once for air after I gave him some motivation. Is he dying on me or will he be ok. Hes been in there for almost 2 hours now and just when I think hes dead he'll move if i touch him and swim around a little bit.

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Picked up 4 julii or false julii cories today. Not sure which they are yet. Three seem to be doing well. They will sit still for a while but move around and do their thing and come up for air everyonce in a while but one guy just sits at the bottom motionless unless me or another fish nudges him. I seen go to the top once for air after I gave him some motivation. Is he dying on me or will he be ok. Hes been in there for almost 2 hours now and just when I think hes dead he'll move if i touch him and swim around a little bit.
I have a couple of the albino cories that act like that, so i wouldnt think any big problem. Although, if you can pick him up or flip him over without him really caring then you might have a problem

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
If they're in a cycled healthy tank, I wouldn't worry about it. They need a few days to adjust, not only to the water and tank decor and lighting, but everything swimming above them, and on top of the food and feeding schedule. They need to figure out it's completely safe to make the 'air run' whenever they want rather then having to carefully plan it out. Typically they will spend a lot of time 'looking up', then make these elaborate maneuvers to work their way to the top of the tank, later they just will go straight up whenever and wherever they feel like it. On top of that, are also usually more active at night. Its also impossible to know the 'social structure' they had before they were lifted from the store's tank (it's hard to tell what the heck they think of each other even after months together, one may of just been added at the store before you got him). They also aren't the brightest fish, so don't expect too much behavior that makes any sort of sense at any given time... :)

In a 55, I'd go with 5-6 of them at least, they'll be a lot more active. And if they have different 'sizes' of the same species at the LFS, try to mix em up as much as possible rather then match them all up.

They are also the easiest fish to add to a 'school' with no worries of aggression or acceptance. After freaking out in the bag acclimating, they go straight to the bottom and its WASSSSSUPPPPPP to the others.

Last edited:

illinidorry

AC Members
Feb 2, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Yea Ive had the lights off for a while and hes been sneaking his way around the tank. He will be in one spot then Ill come back to the tank and he will be 8 inches away. The other 3 are nosing around like they own the place much to the chagrin of the cherrys whos fave sleeping spot has been crashed by 3 rambuncious street cleaners!

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
Unless he's breathing heavily or his dorsal fin is clamped, I wouldn't worry. My 6 peppers sometimes look like they are completely dead. My 6 julii are hyper active although when I first got them, they hardly moved.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Another thing to check is color. When I got my habrosus, 1 of the 6 was very pale and didn't move around much. She never regained her color and I found her dead the following evening. Give your guy some time to get adjusted... adding a couple more may help if he's just not as energetic as the other three. Good luck!

illinidorry

AC Members
Feb 2, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Yea I looked at them when I got up at 6 this morning and peered in while I had a light on in the other room and they were all doing their cory thing and when I turned the tank light on they hid but not too much, they seem to afraid of outside tank movement more then anything. I prob will pick up a couple more, I would like to add maybe 4 more different ones but I'll prob be overloaded with those 8 cherrys, 6 rubys, 6 danio, and the hatchets my girlfriend has to have.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Try to keep them all the same species for best results(or keep enough in a large enough tank to have two colonies). Julii(and falst Julii) are quite beautiful. 2-3 more should be enough. I don't think it would be overstocked, although manic danios always seem to make it appear that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store