10 dead fish since yesterday- white silk poo

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Bunbury, Western Australia
I lost 7 neons overnight, an angelfish last night, and two today.
leaving 5 angelfish. One has almost transparent very fine (like silk) poo, long and trailing.

Any ideas?
tests read normal!
the neons were the addition to the tank 3 days ago.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
sorry to hear of your losses. neons from petsmart $1 sale?

sounds to me they carried in parasites then when they hit your tank, parasites were activated. guess QT wasn't long enough. I suggest treating with metro then go thru jungle clear.

I had bought 8neons 5silver $ at PS's $1 sale keeping them in 10g & as QT tank treating with lifegard & jungle clear. so far so good but 1neon went awol?! not mixing them in with my other tanks, can't trust PS!

my angel tank has white poo/hunger strike also, treating as I stated, now couple of them eating but still treating.

also do w/c b4 treating. good luck.

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
I'm in Australia, dont have petsmart, they were $3 ea.
Upset about losing my angelfish.
Doing a 25% water change now, adding tri sulfur.
Dont know or heard of the jungle one you mentioned, its mentioned before but never seen it.
Think trisulfur will do it, or do i go for tricycline anti biotics?

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
chek lupin's sticky. I'm not sure.

I used jungle parasite clear, jungle labs is the brand.

I would still suggest metronizole.

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Thank you for the support :)
I actually feel like giving up.
I've lost so many fish lately.
Some really special angels too.
Beautiful gold rams, seems like every new fish doesnt adjust to the hard water.
So new fish die taking my current ones with them, and my tanks are just becoming empty.
so I buy more and they die...
I know better, I already had fish in the qt tank, so didnt add them, put them straight into the angels tank :(

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
White stringy poo is usually an internal parasite. I would use metro as already suggested and if you can get levamisole (liquid pig wormer) I would dose that also. The levamisole has worked wonders for me. Also - I have used Clout w/pretty good success for similar situation.

HTH,

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
You can't treat parasites with antibiotics (such as tetracycline or trisulfa), you need anti-parasite meds. Aks you local pet store or serach online for the prazi pro or jungle para clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store