Feeding L279 (Dwaft Ancistrus)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Does anyone have any tips on feeding ancistrus? I have 3 L279's in a 29G, and am worried they are not getting enough to eat, I am not certain but it looks like the males stomach is starting to look sunken in.

The breeder I got them from fed them spinach, but so far I have not seen them touch any I put in there, I have also tried zucchini and sinking wafers, and end up having to pull it out as it sits on the bottom of the tank. They are regularly on the driftwood, and the glass, and algae is clearing up from the tank, but the algae is going to run out. I have had them for about 2-3 weeks now, so they should be used to the surroundings. Any tips?

Also, I have 1m and 2f in the same tank, I have noticed that some of their fins appear a little ragged, is this possibly the cause of aggression from the male towards the females? or should I be looking into other possibilities? only tank mates are neons.

Thanks.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
one thing I did ,when I kept picky otocinclus, was set up a large bucket of water with rocks in it(hand sized) in direct sunlight. the rocks were covered with algae in short order(usually a few days) I would rotate the rocks in the bucket every few days .

it works if you are getting direct sunlight(caveat)

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
All my pleco's (even the L-204's) eat NLS pellets, either Grow or Cichlid formula as their staple diet. The BN spawn and grow very well on that diet, with veggies once weekly.
You could try adding some caves for cover to make them feel more comfirtable.
If you want a small amount of NLS to try it's $1/oz, up to 13 oz can go First Class Mail pretty cheaply.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store