Sand Suggestion?! Its going down this weekend

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
the dino is back in full swing so it is ....

Time to finally break the ol big infested tank down and get it back up.

plan on just getting premium live rock offline. none of my LFS have any real super cured rock.
http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Detail.aspx?ID=40&ReturnPage=%2fShowProductCategory.aspx%3fCategoryId%3d5%23T+2001
plan on getting that (i know theres probably better places but i wanna try this store out real bad)

So what i really need is a sand suggestion? what do you guys think..
Fiji pink was my frist choice but would love suggestions

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
Cmooonnn hahaha

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
LoL I don't understand how you constantly have dino algae. I've never had this issue.. cursed, shun him!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
LoL I don't understand how you constantly have dino algae. I've never had this issue.. cursed, shun him!
Unfortunately it only takes a tiny bit and the right conditions to really spread to plague proportions. Anything short of boiling the rocks and cleaning all the equipment with something really strong (yet reef safe) you run the risk of it returning. It isn't something easy to fix like cyano (no food/no light for x amount of time). I have only seen it happen a handful of times to others but every time I have seen it happen the people get to the point of wanting to toss the entire tank because they think it is cursed. Nasty stuff Dinos are.

As for the sand.. whatever color you want, but I would recommend at least 2 different "grades" of sand so you have some texture.

hmotorsol

AC Members
Apr 25, 2008
that sucks that it is still growing in your tank. Mine subsided with the onset of bryopsis. (one problem to the next i guess.) I dont know what could be leaching that much silicates. All i did was let it grow(didnt take long anyways) got a turkey bastor sucked it up and removed it from the tank while doing normal water changes. I think the protein skimmer help alot too. I can only tell you what to try from my experiences. Which are manual removal and water changes. You might also find out what type of macro algae also absorbs silicates and control it through that method too(if its possible).

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
haha dude i did 2 100% water changes manually removing each strand with a turkey baster.. my dino is beyond stubborn :(

i dont mind starting over im ready to anyways its been way to long!

Black sand isnt my favorite! im gonna lean to fikipink i think, i just need to find 2 grades of the stuff.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Recently, I've tried Tropic Eden sands and I like them. Despite the fact that the grains are smaller (you get a choice of sizes, btw), they aren't carried off by significant water motion nearly as easily. Give them a shot. That's the only way I was able to get some finer sands in my 40.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
^im down for trying new things in the this tank so i just might! send me a link if you wouldnt mind where you got it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store