Cichlids in a 37 gallon tank, stocking options

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cdems

AC Members
Mar 22, 2010
Hey everybody I just recently got back into fish keeping after about 5 years out of the game. I have done the community tank thing and was woundering if I could get some ideas for African Cichlids in my 37 gallon tank. I do realize that I need to over filter because they are messy at times. Also how many African cichlids should I go for, I hear that the 1 inch rule isn't exactly right and that over stocking could tame aggression. I am currently cycling my tank and am looking to put the African Cichlids in in about 3 weeks time after the 4-6 week cycling is done. I at that time will be taking out my 2 platies, 1 molly and 4 black neons, that i used for cycling..... the store will take them back ---price reduced obviously.
Thank You in advance for your help and any comments and suggestions are welcome.
P.S. I do know that the water ph has to be higher at about 7.6- 8.4.:help:

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
How long is the tank?

EDIT: Nevermind I looked it up. It seems to be 30" long and has the same footprint as a 20 long. That's a little small for malawis but there are some lake Tanganyikan species that will do well. Shell dwellers are usually good for that size. Julidochromis, brichardis or Leleupi would also be neat. I'm not sure about exact stocking since I mostly know about malawis. I'm certain someone will pipe in soon.

Last edited:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
:iagree:

Tangs are best for this tank size IMO

I advise looking at these
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_20g.php

I dont agree with some of the stocks so posting which ones you are considering here would be good to get some live feedback. I also would look at the profiles they have. Focus on shell dwellers and julidochromis/leleupi IMO. Bricahrdis would make a nice species tank but I wouldnt advise putting other fish in with them.

cdems

AC Members
Mar 22, 2010
So what I'm seeing is go dwarf not regular, even though some "regular size" are 4-5 inches, I know this sounds "beginerish" - and well to cichlids I am - but I am trying to get the most colorful tank I can with cichlids and was hoping to have the fish 4-5 inches a piece. I know I cant have it all, and unfortunately I have to stay with the 37 gallon for awhile. I did hear that you can semi - overstock a cichlid tank since it will tame aggresion - is that true. Thanks everyone for the help so far.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Yes, the goal of a mbuna setup is that you overstock so no one male can establish a territory. However IMHO the smallest tanks should still be 4 feet in length. Yours is far too small.

Tangs are the most colorful, however they have quirky personalities to make up for the lack in color. They're not the most eye appealing though so if you want something like that you'd be better off going with a "dwarf" species like rams, apistos, or kribs and building a community tank around them.

JMHO.

cdems

AC Members
Mar 22, 2010
Jappapy789 what did you mean by tangs- cichlids from lake tanganyika thats sorta what i was looking at what suggestions do you have from this lake? :)

cdems

AC Members
Mar 22, 2010
So I could put certain species of dwarf, apisto, rams,kirbs with community.
Also Tangs are not colorful?
and what do you mean by quirky?

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
the 30 longs tanks that i have have a foot print bigger than a 20 long, 20 longs are 30 in long, and 30 are 36 in long

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store