Another Ich thread, Please Read

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
So Ive read alot.

Ich came in on a impulse buy- im a idot. It died and a week later my other fish (3) have it.

I dont have a QT.
I have alot of inverts
I have alot of money in corals.

I would like your thoughts on if you think I should feed good and ruff it out. (my thoughts being the fish were healthy and maybe my light cutback did it? 8:30 to 8:30, now its 11:30 to 7:30. been in affect for the week. and the fish died right before I cut the light back?) or it was just the fish.

Im curious too on the garlic method? if I read that right I just buy it and mix it with there food?

Anyhow, ruff it out, or theeee best intank treatment money can buy thats safe with inverts and corals?????

Thankyou!

Last edited:

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
8hrs and no thoughts?

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
This is garbage.

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
what did the ich look like? just curious cause i think mine have for the same reason..an impuls buy..i'm an ideot too..now all my fish in the tank have something...i bought some clown gobies that developed a fungas about 3 days later and died..now my 3 remaining fish have something that looks like a cross between ich and fungas ..not sure but i have been using the garlic ..i was told by the lfs guy to use it..not sure what it realy does..i am also using merecyn plus..i did have the heat up around 82 deg. and lights out . but it seems to make it worse...

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
there is a good med out there called kick ick..but it's expensive..like 40dollors a bottle..and you can put it right in your display tank..it won't hurt corals or live rock or inverts...

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd avoid any meds in the display tank. The Reef-safe meds rarely work and can make a mess of your water quality. I would just do lots of water changes, run a micron filter and UV sterilizer. The corals will also feed on the free-swimming parasites. If possible, I'd get a QT asap and transfer the fish over to it and treat them with a copper based med. Leave the display tank fallow for at least 30-40 days. The fish will do fine in QT during this entire time.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Lol I said no a QT is not a option, and a uv sterilizer is out of the question and shown to not really kill the ick.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
You said you didn't have a QT (I got that much), but never said that it definitely wasn't an option until now. I still think it's your best bet with a display tank full of corals, but feel free to try any of the reef-safe meds you so desire.
I realize that UV sterilization isn't a guaranteed method to cure marine ich, as it will only kill the free-swimming parasites that come into contact with the UV light (and only if that contact time is long enough)...but it can be helpful. Water changes involving siphoning around the bottom substrate where the fish like to rest and micron filtration will also physically remove free-swimmers.
I'm not saying go out and buy a UV sterilizer or micron filter if you don't already have them, I'm just posting the few options you have if treating the display tank. A QT tank would be a cheaper and better investment, TBH. There you can treat the fish with either hyposalinity or a 'guaranteed to work' med such as Cupramine without worry of killing your expensive corals/inverts in the DT.

EDIT: ...and a cleaner shrimp or wrasse may be helpful, as well. Don't expect it to rid your tank of ich, but it may help the heavily infected fish buy some more time while their immune systems take care of the rest. You just want to prevent the parasites from multiplying to lethal levels. A few parasitic cysts aren't going to kill a fish, hundreds of them will.

Good luck. I hope you beat this.

Last edited:

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Well slappy I thankyou for trying to help. Disapointed in the views and low number of replies and time it took to get one.

I had to do magic in a bottle that I hate. Im using Microbe lift- herbatana, says 10 days but im goin to stretch it the full life cycle of the ick. 8.00 treats 60g for 10 days and I only have a 10g tank.

Ya QT is out for cost and space.
UV is out for cost and space.

After icks gone I finally have to use my flatworm exit and get rid of them. Just noticed 3 aspititas or whatever nasty anemones. And have clapurea or whatever on one of my frag plugs.

And my new 150w MH, flatworms,ick, new tank syndrome. I cant wait to see if anything makes this. But everything looks good.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, a 10g should be fairly easy to manage...especially with water changes. I've never used the microbe lift, myself, but it looks like a good thing to try. Boosts the immune system. That and clean water should go a long way.

As far as the Flatworm Exit is concerned, I have no experience with it either but thought you might want to read through this if you haven't already:

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/flat-worm-exit-disaster-111523.html

Again, good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store