Marimo Moss Ball Floating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chunkswrestles

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland
i purhcased a moss ball today and it is floating instead of sinking. i cant figure out why it is doing this and so i would like to find out. how can i get to sink if i can.
thanks.

Kerry121774

AC Members
Mar 2, 2010
RI
I just added two more to my tank the other day and they floated for about a day and then sank! I think mine were floating because they were relatively dry from shipping but once they were saturated they dropped!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
You can divide them that way, but they grow so slowly it would take a very long time for the pieces to become spherical again.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
I read an article about marimo balls from Lake Akan, Japan — supposedly, the origin of the "true" marimo? — that stated "This algae is free floating, and displays unique behaviors in response to habitat changes. They will float or sink in the water in response to columns of light, and will actually roll around on the bottom of the lake (aquarium)."

josephpnorris

Registered Member
Mar 18, 2005
Marimo balls will float due to O2 adhering to the surface of the ball. It's actually a good sign that your aquarium is healthy. I've deal with the floating balls by attaching them to fine polyester thread (preferred over nylon) that magicians use in their acts. Achor with a Stainless Steel nut (1/2" is fine) and it must be 316 stainless to minimize leaching in the water. When initially purchased, your balls might not float so make sure they are in floating condition by leaving them in the aquarium (photosynthesizing) before attachment. The effect is quite "other worldly" with green balls suspended in the aquarium. See photos.

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1498.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
ugh, old thread, but the moss balls will fill with air and that will cause them to float.

always remember to take your balls out of the tank, give them a squeeze and roll them between your hands a while on a regular basis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store